Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seaquest BlackDiamond

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Aqua Lung Patriot

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought one off of ebay for $200.00. I was told it was used but it sure looks new. It has back inflation and a back plate for the tank, and it looks like wings in the back. My friend that is a instructor for years suggested the Black Diamond. He wishes he had one. The only thing is that it is not small, but most arn't. Consider a type that folds up smaller for travel. Kmart has a great wheel case for about $25.00. It will fit in there and all of your gear including fins.
Scuba Ed

I just recently purchased a Black Diamond and im very happy with it.

I did a lot of reseach on them, looking at the Black Diamond, Zeagle Ranger, and a BP and Wing setup. I didnt think I was quite ready to go for the BP and wing but I dove the BD and the Ranger and I found them both very good. Great control and features on each. Both of them are on the Navy's approved Dive equipment list. But I went with the Black Diamond in the end because it fit me better then the Ranger.

Just my $0.02

-=WonderSlug

In terms of "over-the-counter" buoyancy compensators, it was definitely a favorite of mine.

What I liked about the SeaQuest Black Diamond:

This BC was interesting and pretty different from most BC's in that it has a sort of internal hard structure throughout the entire BC. It's little more than stiff material backed with a sort of thin ABS plastic, but it really did a nice job of keeping the rig situated properly, even without a crotch strap (which, by the way, is an available, if not unnecessary, accessory for this BC). This is because of the fact that the stiff material of the Black Diamond has the tendency to brace itself against your lats and stay in place better than most BC's. Putting the thing on, with it's wide harness (both over the shoulder and the waist strap) was exceedingly comfortable and it stayed put very nicely... I found much more stability out of this BC than any other "regular" BC on the market. Fit was completely customizable in many directions, and I found the unit to be terrific at creating a very high quality, flak-jacket type of feel to it.

I also liked the fact that this is one of only a few "regular" BC's which allows a diver to dive with double tanks. Most "regular" BC's don't allow for this, although many higher-end BC's, like the Black Diamond, do allow for it.

Scuba Diving magazine says that the number one thing that a BC needs to do is fit properly. I found that this BC did a fine job of fitting, due to it's ability to change in several ways.

I also liked it's sheer ruggedness... It seems to be made of very high quality materials.

Lastly, I liked the uncluttered shape and positioning of the bladder... I found it to be placed in such a way that it never was able to create any sort of squeeze on me, even fully inflated; and at the same time it managed to be in a shape that never trapped air.

Okay... What I didn't like about it:

This is not a good BC for travel... The same stiff plastic that makes for so much stability under water makes it very difficult to pack it small enough to take it anywhere easily. It is a very large BC in general... And this has it's drawbacks.

For all of the space this thing took up, I was surprised to find it's pockets of meager size. For the size of this thing, I should be able to put the kitchen sink in it! For example, I had nowhere to put a lift bag, and a good catch bag would have to be carried seperately, or clipped off and dangling.

The wing on this thing has a HUGE capacity... This may be terrific for those looking for a lot of lift, but for diving singles (because wouldn't you really want a bp/wing for doubles?) I personally felt there was waaaay too much lift in the thing. What that really translated to was a situation where, at the surface, you could not inflate the wing fully without a significant "face-forward" tendency. To counteract this tendency, I simply kept the wing minimally inflated at the surface. This technique worked well, but of course, it meant that I was diving with a lot more material (and therefore drag) than I needed... I also had to be attentive when inflating for a surface interval. I could not simply inflate it all the way and let it go from there... I had to be careful in order to avoid negative trim characteristics.

There was no place to put a canister light or pocket on the BC either, and there was no place to hook or tuck a long primary hose. This meant that I'd have to limit myself to diving a "standard" short hose on my primary, which wasn't an ideal situation for diving overhead environments... A real concern, since my main focus is on diving wrecks. The canister light would have to be mounted on the tank, behind me, where I could not reach the can... Not to mention the additional entanglement hazard. Can you imagine trying to free yourself from a line or net hung up on a rear-mounted canister light?

The BC, like all "over the counter" BC's on the market, had lots of adjustment buckles and straps... All of which I found mildly irritating, once I'd gotten the correct adjustments nailed. I think that if I owned one of these BC's, I'd get my adjustments right and then sew things in place, trimming off all of the excess straps, and perhaps even removing some of the excessive quick release buckles and adjustment devices.

The cummerbund, which helped make things so comfortable on the surface, seemed completely pointless to me underwater. To me, it's just a big slab of Velcro that doesn't need to be there. To me, the extra drag and tendency to pick up lint and dirt and junk simply wasn't worth it.

The bungees that connect the wing to the "harness" of the BC did a fine job of making the huge wing act like a smaller wing... And basically kept the whole thing under control. Without them, the wing would be all over the place, especially when diving a single tank. With them, the wing is kept tight and close-in to the diver, helping to add stability under water. Unfortunately, wide elastic straps like these have been known to wear out prematurely. I don't really know how long they'd last... Probably a couple of years. However, in the photos I've seen around, it's not uncommon for people's Black Diamond "elastic control" straps to lose their elasticity.

SeaQuest knows that divers are looking for simplicity, and in order to cater to this mindset, they've ditched one of the tank cam bands. Like many BC's, the Black Diamond only comes with one tank cam band. There is an additional "hang strap" on the Black Diamond. This does not seem to be the best system available, as it's not unheard of to have a cam band occassionally come undone or "loosen" as it gets wet. If there's two there, one can be thought of as a "backup." With only one cam band, this means that your rig is going to come apart underwater, and in a place where you are dependent on your buddy to fix it for you. In fact, there's a thread going on right now where this exact thing happened, and it caused some problems. What's worse is that the SeaQuest cam bands are made of plastic, and the manufacturer says that they should be wet before connecting the tank to the BC, because of the way that the bands tend to stretch when wet. They also aren't very sturdy, and they're known to break and snap after a few seasons of use. Comparatively, a good, solid stainless steel buckle and a pair of cam bands rather than a single do not require pre-wetting, since they can be cinched so tight to begin with... Then they're redundant to each other. They also tend to oulast plastic ones. Scubapro and Halcyon both make excellent stainless steel cam bands. The hang strap, while seeming to be an article of conveinence, has often gotten in the way of a diver being able to manipulate their own tank valve, and so I would recommend steering clear of hang straps if possible, even if it means having to take the extra five seconds to assemble your rig.

The Black Diamond has a bottom dump on each "side" of the wing... Not a problem, really, except that they're addressing a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. The "real" problem is that the wing is "U" shaped instead of being "O" shaped. My experience is that I tend to dive with my body horizontal rather than vertical... And thus, I use my "bottom dump" almost exclusively. I rarely use any other dump on my rig. Thus, I find great value in an "O" shaped wing, where I can simply reach back and vent one single bottom dump for the whole wing. With the Black Diamond's "U" shaped wing, I'd have to dump from both dumps to achieve the same effect, or turn my body vertical to dump from the top of the wing. Of course, that said, I can tell you that most wings of the same size also are "U" shaped... So the real issue, I think, really stems from the gigantic size of that wing. However, the Scubapro Knighthawk, for example, is of similar design and lift, yet has an "O" shaped wing. I believe that SeaQuest could do better.

The Black Diamond is full of padding... Everywhere! Of course, like I said before, this makes for an amazingly comfortable rig - topside. Put it on, and you might feel like you're putting on a big, padded piece of armor. It's a secure feeling, for sure, but one that doesn't translate well under water. In the water, all of that padding, which compresses at depth and expands toward the surface tends to create a BC that doesn't fit as well as it promised on the surface. It also holds a lot of water when you get out of the drink... Making for a heavy rig that takes forever to dry out. Forget about putting this one in the trunk of your car after a dive, unless you've got something to contain all of that water.

Lastly, SeaQuest used a tremendous amount of plastic in creating the Black Diamond. All of the clips and quick releases are made of plastic, and almost all of the buckles are also made of plastic. Even the built-in backplate is made of plastic. While this isn't really a problem for me, people diving in colder climates have noticed that plastic tends to get very brittle in chilly water. Again, this is really a "wearability" issue than anything else.

In all, despite the list of shortcomings that I just posted, I found the Black Diamond to be a very nice BC, at least as far as the "over the counter" BC's go. I found it stable and without squeeze, even though it's padding did allow for the rig to move around my body a bit at depth. I also found that with it's trim pockets in the back and large weight pockets in front, I was able to trim the BC out quite well... Much better than I had expected. Of course, that huge wing still tended to push me face down at the surface if I fully inflated, and trimming this tendency out at the surface with weight placement made me too vertical in trim at depth. But I was able to find a decent middle ground with trim by using the weight pockets and keeping my inflation to a minimum at the surface.

Would I recommend the BC? Yes, I would... As well as it's more compact brother, the SeaQuest Balance.

Of course, I found better characteristics - and a lower price - in a backplate and wings, and so that is what I purchased. However, the Black Diamond does seem to be a fairly descent alternative.

I work at a LDS and while talking directly with Aqua-Lung I was informed that the Black Diamond is now available in sizes L and XL with the Sure-Lock weight systm.

The catalog #'s are:

371094 (L Black Diamond w/sure-lock)
371095 (XL Black Diamond w/sure-lock)

Maybe this info will help you with your decision.

I two was looking at the SeaQuest Black Diamond and the Balance. My LDS was nice enough to let me try both of them in the pool. To make this short unlike SeaJay's, I will say the Black Diamond is way to bulky and whats with all the D-rings how much stuff do you need to carry. Now the Balance on the other had is a more streamlined Black Diamond. Its the best back buoyancy bc I've seen yet (besides a bp/wing setup). The new SureLock system is really cool and enough D-rings to carry all the gear you need. No matter what you get like others have said make sure it fits you properly. Oh definitely get the one with the SureLock system its really cool...

The Balance is a simpler, more streamlined BC. It also packs a lot better for trips.

However, that comes with a price.. There are even less pockets, meaning that you'll be carrying a catch bag if you dive for artifacts... Something you might be doing anyway. It's also lacking the stability of the Black Diamond, as it doesn't have that whole ABS side bolster thing going on. That said, it's not that the stability isn't good, because it is, at least for an "over-the-counter" BC. It's just that the Black Diamond really excels there.

The Balance also lacks the ability to wear doubles.

It's also missing a bottom dump, while still keeping the less-than-ideal "U" shaped wing.

There's also the "feel" of the BC... Some people just like the way the Black Diamond feels when it's on.

I like them both... But they're not the same BC with the same capabilities.

SeaJay, thank you for your verbosity, it makes understanding your choices much easier as I am able to pick and choose the things that are important to me in your descriptions.

One question...In another post, you mentioned trying a bp/wing setup and did not find it to your liking, therefore you weent with a Scubapro Classic. In this, more recent, post you mentioned going with a bp/wing set up. Do your previous comments about the bp/wing stand or do you still prefer the Scubapro?

-Marcus

Yeah, I've been criticized a lot for the verbosity... But I figure if it's too long, then people won't bother to read it, which is okay by me. My aim is to relay what my experience was, so that someone can get a pretty good idea for themselves what to go try out.

When I was looking for a BC, I got so tired of hearing, "It's a nice BC." That tells me positively nothing! I wish someone had been verbose for me... It would have saved me a lot of work.

So... You're welcome. :) I'm surprised nobody's yelled at me yet for writing too much...

I do very much like the Classic as well. I decided on a Classic, like you pointed out, but the more I dove with one the more I began to appreciate the minimalistic approach of a back inflate BC, or it's equivalent. I didn't feel that way at first... But it grew on me.

I believe that a major reason for the preference change was that I learned to trim myself better, thereby tuning out some of the bad characteristics I was finding in back inflate and bp/wing BC's. My dive style changed a bit, too... I became more relaxed in the water and more horizontal in the water. I no longer spent much time at the surface, and instead tended to spend more time under water, horizontal.

The Classic did not allow me to tune that tendency into the BC to any great degree. Instead, the Classic could only be neutrally trimmed at best, and vertically trimmed at worst... A point that I really liked at first. However, as I progressed in my diving, I began to appreciate the bp/wing's versatility and ability to be trimmed such that there was a mild horizontal tendency.

I guess the bottom line is that my preferences changed a bit... But the Classic is still, IMHO, a great BC.

...Of course, there's a very different design and purpose to it over the Balance/Black Diamond...

SeaJay once bubbled...
It's also missing a bottom dump, while still keeping the less-than-ideal "U" shaped wing.

Not true mine has a bottom dump and so does my buddies which is last years model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom