seaquest pro qd plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan once bubbled...
How many people do you know made the move from a backplate and wing *to* a jacket BC and found it a superior platform?
Though this question wasn't actually directed at me, I'll answer this one.
All of us old guys started out with backpacks and backplates. And we tried all sorts of things, including primative wings. My allusion to milk jugs in my earlier post wasn't without meaning, for those who remember.
Today I own three jackets (one of 'em is a Pro QD), a Transpac, both a steel and an aluminum backplate, and three wings... and my original backpack that only fits an old steel 72. From those, I select the superior platform for the dive I'm doing. After all, I can choose, so why would I do otherwise. I never choose a backplate and wing for a single tank, and I never choose a jacket for doubles (my jackets don't have the mounting holes anyway). Only the Transpac sees duty both ways. I do in fact choose the Pro QD over either of my backplates as the superior platform for many recreational and instructional dives. I know several others who choose jackets as well who own both. And none of 'em are "new" divers. (Check out the Winter Fathoms magazine "Panel of Experts" and their BC choices)
But yvkr didn't ask about my backpack, my backplates, my Transpac, my wings, my Explorer or my TechniPro - he only asked about the Pro QD...
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
. I never choose a backplate and wing for a single tank, and I never choose a jacket for doubles
Excuse me for this attempted hijacking of the thread, but Rich's comment intrigues me.

Your comment is exactly what I was told by 3 different people at 3 different stores that sell both BCDs and Halcyon BP/wings. All 3 dove BP for doubles and jacket for singles. It's strange how what is continually posted on the Internet differs so much from what I've been told by divers in person. In addition to those 3 people, the "BCD for singles, BP for doubles" choice is what I found instructors in Cozumel doing.

In each case, because their advice was opposite of what I saw posted on the Internet, I quizzed the diver at length. The reasons for preferring a BP with doubles is clear, but I never really got a clear answer on why they preferred a BCD for singles.

There doesn't seem to be any significant disadvantage to BP/wings for singles. The answers were kind of touchy-feely things like "jacket is more comfortable", "never saw a need", "yeah, I tried it with a single tank adaptor, but didn't like it".

Rich --- if you can, please explain why you prefer a BCD for singles.

Tropics Diver once bubbled...
Rich --- if you can, please explain why you prefer a BCD for singles.
The simple answer is "because I like it better." Analysing why I like it better is a bit more complicated.
I'll come back later this evening with a longer post - gotta go teach a Nitrox class..
Rick

I own the pro qd and it has been an excellent bc. And i make it what would look like pretty unstable with a 13cuft pony bottle strap mounted on the back on the right side of the primary tank. Yet I can still manuever any way I wish and not feel unbalanced....

I have the velcro model and chose it over the snap model. Had the chance to try both. Keep your velcro clean and you will have no problems....

just to add a thought....I also got mine with the integrated airsource. It works just fine....I do wish it was about 4 inches longer....but works fine.

oops..forgot one thing......

the price....it just does not sound right for a NEW pro qd....

it makes me very weary....

This is a continuation of my answer to Tropics Diver's question as to why I would prefer a jacket to a BP/Wing for singles...
Since this thread started with a question about a Pro QD, I'll use a dive where I'd choose that one as an example.
The mission: take a class of new divers on their first Gulf dive.
The boat: 85' converted crew boat
The weather: Good - winds WSW 10-15, sunny
The water conditions: Seas 3 feet, close together, light current, visibility 30', surface temp 75, bottom 65.
The site: Artificial reef consisting of a sunken Fleet Tug, 180' long, the wheelhouse at 40', 80' to the sand.
I have “surface duty” – getting the students oriented after their giant stride, calmed if necessary and headed in the right direction, and headed down.
---------
The overriding issue on this dive is student safety. Although they have had four open water dives and successfully demonstrated all skills required to be certified in the relatively benign conditions of the Springs, Lake or Bay, this is their first trip dealing with a big rocking boat, salt water, reasonably intimidating (for a newbie) seas and current, and in many cases nausea. The surface of the sea is where things happen, so surface characteristics of my rig are very important. I may need stability, lots of lift (neutral +20), and leverage. I also want to use a single 80 because that's the lightest tank I have available that gives me enough gas for the dive after we do get off the surface - and I want a light rig on the surface for mobility and quickness.
Because of the water temperature I will select a 5 mil wetsuit rather than my 7 mil neoprene drysuit so I’ll only have to carry 18 instead of 28 pounds of lead. 8 of that will go in the trim pockets of the QD and the other 10 in the ditchable pouches.
If I were to use a backplate and wing for a single, I’d use my Fred T heavy plate (which would keep the ditchable weight in my weightbelt the same 10 pounds as would be in the ditchable pouches of the QD, so we can just compare lift) and my Dive-Rite travel wing. Let’s compare…
Raw lift: QD – 24 BP/TW – 30 so both have enough, with the advantage to the Wing.
Stability: Floating on the surface, the QD allows a near vertical stable posture; the BP is stable on my back or belly. I want vertical so I can comfortably get nose-to-nose with a student.
Leverage: By this I mean the ability to apply a solid, reassuring steady lift to a student by grabbing their BC while talking to them face-to-face. This is easy to do in the QD, but very difficult in a BP/Wing, because when in this vertical position with a full wing the BP/Wing tends to pitch you forward, when you need lift out front to help you pitch back. For this reason alone I rule out the backplate/wing for this dive.
Another thing I don’t like about backplates with singles, whether they have a STA or not (the Fred T doesn’t need one) is that they position the tank valve further aft, away from the head, and therefore in a more difficult position to reach than a jacket does. This isn’t a problem with doubles as the center channel of the BP is between the tanks, but with a single sitting on the ridge of the channel it pushes the tank away. If I can’t reach and manipulate my tank valve(s) easily I’m not a happy camper, and that half to three quarter inch displacement I find very irritating.
Under water I personally find that the Pro-QD has excellent trim and balance; I have no trouble at all maintaining an effortless horizontal position – and I find it a little easier to maintain positions other than horizontal with the Pro QD if I want to – very useful in photography.
For travel in the tropics I take a Seaquest Explorer. It packs smaller and lighter than even the AL BP/TW combination, and is far superior for maneuvering into strange positions to take pictures.
I could go on, but that should give some idea of why I find the jacket more comfy with a single.
Rick

jbichsel once bubbled...
Just bought a Pro QD with Sur-Lok

$317.50

You stole it! outstanding buy:thumb:
You won't be sorry. Great rig

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
This is a continuation of my answer to Tropics Diver's question as to why I would prefer a jacket to a BP/Wing for singles...

Underwater I personally find that the Pro-QD has excellent trim and balance; I have no trouble at all maintaining an effortless horizontal position – and I find it a little easier to maintain positions other than horizontal with the Pro QD if I want to
The snippet above agrees with the comments by an instructor in Cozumel. He said that for him, both a wing type BC and BP/wings were very stable in horizontal position, but had a tendency to roll him back to horizontal if you tried to take another orientation. He uses BP/wings for cave diving with doubles, but never in OW with singles. He dives a single AL80 in OW.

I've also heard this referred to as the tradeoff between stability and agility. I figure that, if you are diving AL80 or other near neutral tank, that having the wings some distance behind your back would tend to roll you back to horizontal if you are on your side, looking sideways. Perhaps if you have a significantly negatively buoyant tank, then the wing back there and the tank pulling down balance out and the wings wouldn't keep putting you back to horizontal when you don't want to be.

Back
Top Bottom