Search for the Ultimate Canister Torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brian cooper

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,
I want to build for myself / source for anyone else who is interested, the "Ultimate" umbilical canister torch, without having to sell the wife into slavery and having to re-mortgage my soul again.
I've tried to follow up the various leads and links from this group but now I have total information overload.
I have a basic electric (but not electronics) knowledge and as a Scuba Service Tech and retired mechanical engineer can cope with the mechanics and have my own workshop (inc lathe).

for this first step I want to leave out the canister design and manufacture as this appears to have been well covered here already....Thanks for that to all contributors.

I hope to get the basics principles, the must haves and the must avoids sorted first.
feel free to join in, contradict me, redirect me or tell me where to go ,both metaphorically and literally.

Spec-wise here are MY initial thoughts on what I want / need...
1)A daylight white beam, what colour temperature that equates to I'm not sure but I'm leaning towards HID...
2)A focus system adjustable underwater, from a parallel 2" dia to a full 60 deg flood with no centre hot spot.
3)A burn time /recharge time suitable for 1hour dives with a surface interval of 3 hours between dives.
4)Regular depth of 50 metres so taking a safety factor into account to withstand 20 bar of pressure without leakage.
5) Small head with the ubiquitous Goodman handle.

My questions for open discussion:-

1)What wattage/ voltage is required to get the colour from a HID bulb? Pros and cons for 10w versus 18w and or alternative bulbs.
2)What starting current do you have to design round for start-up to avoid welding the contacts or frying the cables?
3)can you put a ballast resistor in the circuit for start-up then short round it after its fired up?
4)Candle power/ light intensity per buck what is the best combination of bulb spec and battery type/ size?
5)Can you buy a manufactured head or is it DIY using off the shelf bulb and bits? Which is the best design even if not the best made..?
6)Any views on "smart chargers" that could recharge the battery during the surface interval?
7)Do actual manufacturers regard their spare parts like Regulator spares or are they available at a reasonable price and delivery?
8)How about bulbsnowin mass use in upper end automobiles such as BMW and Audi...and even GM/ Vauxhall, the bulbs being availablerelatively cheaply through corner shop garages and auto supermarkets?

That might get a ball rolling, or if you could refer me to the relevant people it would be appreciated

Keep on ducking and diving

Brian C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom