Search function

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirl15

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This is my first whine and hopefully my last....

How come people feel compelled to snap "Do a search!" when someone posts a question for which OK yes there are existing threads on the subject. So what if there are? If you don't want to respond positively to the post, keep your fingers away from the keyboard; there are others who are happy to oblige.

I learn a lot from reading these posts, some of which are on subjects that haven't crossed my mind. So if someone hadn't posted, I wouldn't have had the benefit of the ensuing conversation. Besides, having fresh posts is always nice...this is supposed to be a live forum, not a historical archive after all.

There. Now I feel better.

Why dont you do a search - you will find that this very whine has been suggested quite a few times, usually following someone telling them to search when they ask exactly the same question as 200 other people have since this board started. :wink: Some people dont want to speil out the same stuff over and over - in fact some have nice cookie-cut responses to certain things like say ear clearing, mask off breathing and many other questions. Very occasionally there will be a slightly new insight on a subject - sometimes it just starts up the same old battles/flame wars say about pony vs spare air, jets vs quattros, jackets vs BP/W, DIR vs the world, and many more. Some of these questions have been put in stickies to help out in certain forums, but of course to put in a whole bunch on FAQ's is a large task - but it would stop so many of the same questions and subsequent responses of "Do a search"! :wink:

It's just forum etiquette. Having so many threads on the same subject makes it difficult to organize/find relevant posts. So use the search button!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding, I don't care, have a million threads on the use of computers in REC diving.

There are a couple of good reasons to search before asking a question, though.

One is that over the past three years or so there have been some excellent threads on these "never ending topics". Some of them have included input from luminaries in the field, top researchers, CEOs of corporations, and individuals who have been diving for over 3 or 4 decades and have authored many books in the field.

The archives on ScubaBoard contain some truly unique responses, empirical data, and information that simply will not be repeated, by these responders or others of similar reputation, every time the question is asked.

If you really want to get into an issue, you owe it to yourself to look back through the archives. Of course, if all you want is a quick response...heck, ask away.

of course sometimes a person might want current information rather than the archived data from eons past.

I agree with scubagirl, even if she is only 15! In some cases people don't know that the Search Function exists, or they don't know how to use it. However, sometimes the "suggestion" to go search is presented rather rudely. I suppose it could be warranted if a veteran asks instead of looking, but when a newbie asks a question, it would be really nice if the responses were less harsh. Yes, teach them to search, but don't slap them around!

Just my opinions

Wristshot

Wristshot:
it could be warranted if a veteran asks instead of looking, but when a newbie asks a question, it would be really nice if the responses were less harsh. Yes, teach them to search, but don't slap them around!

Good thought Wristshot.

Wristshot:
Yes, teach them to search, but don't slap them around!
No, you have to beat them around the head a few times first, that way the info will stay in their heads!! :wink:

ye, that's kinda wear. do a search is good for info, but if you have a question to that info it's best to open a new thread. usually when you post to an old thread no one answer. maybe most ppl feel they've said enough on that thread already, but are still likely to post on a new thread on the matter.

Wristshot:
of course sometimes a person might want current information rather than the archived data from eons past.

Oh Please...

What are some common questions?

Should I use a Pony Bottle or a Spare Air?
What's better, an octopus or an Air II?
Should I attach my Pony Bottle to my tank?
What is DIR?
How do I calculate Surface Air Consumption or Respiratory Minute Volume?
Is a BC better or a backplate and wing?

None of these debates have altered significantly over the past three years.
Neither have the laws of physics, gas laws, scuba equipment design with respect to tanks, valves, regulators, or basic mathematics.

On a number of occasions people have posted elaborate instructions for, say, calculating SAC, converting to RMV, and then calculating gas requirements for emergency ascents - to cite one example. Roakey comes to mind. He offered an articulate, easily understood presentation on how to figure out what might work best for any diver to evaluate questions about their own gas supply.

He's unlikely to repost that same response everytime someone asks about pony bottles. But it was a post that would answer anyone's concerns, if they took the time to look for it and read it.

Most of this stuff hasn't changed radically in the past 15 years, much less the last three.

If people don't know how to search, I agree that there is no need to be harsh. But there is no harm in suggesting someone to do a search. It isn't what you say, it's how you say it.

Its to their benefit, after all. They're seeking answers. There are some excellent answers in the archives, for anyone who wants answers.

Thanks, guys! That's just what I was inarticulately trying to express. That there's no need to be rude: I just wish more people would follow the lead of those who offer their thoughts and politely say, by the way, you can get more details from this thread.

BTW, I'm not 15...just when I was trying to register scubagirl as a user name for a e-mail address, it was already taken. 15 is the day of my birthday. :)

Back
Top Bottom