Seat and shims MK10 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I left the MK10 pressurized overnight and noticed this morning a slight drop in psi, looks to be around 4psi. I've read here that this could be either a slight imperfection on the piston edge or seat or some foreign object, hair/dust. Is this anything to be concerned about? And/or should I pull it apart to investigate? Or is there a chance this might settle after a dive? I tried to expedite seating as per a post by Halocline by breathing/purging/leaving it pressurized overnight etc. It took a while to drop as after 3 hours, my last check before going to bed, ip hadn't changed. Thank you.

Last edited:
When I purged it a few times it initially went back to the lower value but then suddenly, like a turbo, went quickly to the original reading, not sure if this is important information or not.

It takes quite a number of cycles to break a new seat in. I usually thinking terms of 50 to 100 cycles which can be done in just a few minutes by tapping the purge rapidly.

Would the seat settling account for a drop in ip?

I think it can. I know IP will be erratic until the new seat is broken in. During break-in, it may go off a bit in either direction. I usually do not pay much attention to it until 2 or 3 minutes of very rapid cycling.

I wouldn't take it apart (you'll probably have some creep if you do) and I wouldn't worry about it. Just use it for a few dives and then see how stable it is. I've had them drop a few PSI while pressurized over several hours, it's nothing to be concerned about. It could be a tiny bit of air leaking out the 2nd stage, hose, ambient chamber. It means the HP seal is working right.

Due to the smaller piston size, MK10s seem to be a bit less stable than MK5s or MK15s in terms of IP. Big deal, they all work extremely well.

Thank you Halocline. I've hooked it up to my D300s and will hopefully get a dive in on Sunday, pretty keen to see how they function in water as a set. The D300s seem stable, pretty sure I've got them as they should be.

Last edited:
This is a problem with only a little knowledge (and being OCD), not sure when something is to be concerned about or ignored, thank god for SB and it's helpful gurus. I for one would never have been able to do, or even attempt, any of this without their help and guidance. I know I've said thanks before, but I'll say it again, thank you.

Thank you Halocline. I've hooked it up to my D300s and will hopefully get a dive in on Sunday, pretty keen to see how they function in water as a set. The D300s seem stable, pretty sure I've got them as they should be.

MK10/D300 is my primary cave set. I think you'll enjoy diving with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom