seavision purge masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toadfish

Reaction score
I was looking at Seavision's website and noticed that a purge valve is an accessory on most or all of their masks? Can someone who owns one of these masks explain how this works? Do the masks with the purge valves have a different skirt than the non-purge masks? Or can the purge valve be somehow added to a non-purge mask?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

toadfish:
I was looking at Seavision's website and noticed that a purge valve is an accessory on most or all of their masks? Can someone who owns one of these masks explain how this works? Do the masks with the purge valves have a different skirt than the non-purge masks? Or can the purge valve be somehow added to a non-purge mask?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

I have used a seavision with a purge valve for a couple of years now. Operationally, you exhale a SMALL amount of air through your nose and the air, along with water that might have collected in the nose pocket of the mask, flows out the one way valve.

No problems so far and I would not have a mask without one now. I suppose it depends on the level of distraction which a little water in your mask poses for you. For me it is a real nuisance - hence a distraction - adding to the task loading of a dive. Hope that helps.

colonelchuck:
I have used a seavision with a purge valve for a couple of years now. Operationally, you exhale a SMALL amount of air through your nose and the air, along with water that might have collected in the nose pocket of the mask, flows out the one way valve.

No problems so far and I would not have a mask without one now. I suppose it depends on the level of distraction which a little water in your mask poses for you. For me it is a real nuisance - hence a distraction - adding to the task loading of a dive. Hope that helps.

Thanks Chuck. My current mask actually has a purge, but after wearing it for several dives my nose ends up in some pain. I was mainly concerned about the optional purge on the Seavision masks. I've never actually seen one of the Seavisions with the purge, so I couldn't try one out. Anyway, I've talked to a Seavision rep. now and I will be checking out one of their purge masks soon. Thanks.

Thought that I would revive this thread with a twist. I am in between masks right now as my latest US Divers purge mask had the valve fail this past weekend. I have decided to go ahead and get a prescription mask from Seavision for the first time and saw that they offer purge valves.

I have gone through three US Divers masks (including a free replacement) with purge valves, none of them lasting more than two years before the purge assembly fails. What kind of longevity have people with these masks experienced?

I have been diving the same Seavision with purge for 8 years, over 400 dives, and it is still going strong. I may have to get a new one because recent eye surgery may make the "gauge readers" I have been using, no longer necessary.

I have been diving the same Seavision with purge for 8 years, over 400 dives, and it is still going strong. I may have to get a new one because recent eye surgery may make the "gauge readers" I have been using, no longer necessary.

Thanks! That makes me feel better about ordering one with a purge!

I use a DIY purge for my mask, no hardware required.

I position the mask strap a slight bit lower than than it should be so there is just a slight bit less pressure on the bottom of the mask. Whenever I breathe out through my nose the water flows out the bottom seal of the mask because it has a less pressure than the rest of the mask seal. I've been using this method to great advantage for decades.

I must admit that when I started this practice, mask seals and purge valves didn't work well for me, my diving, or my mustache. Since it worked, I have not revisited the purge valve, but mask seals have improved.

Bob

I use a DIY purge for my mask, no hardware required.

I position the mask strap a slight bit lower than than it should be so there is just a slight bit less pressure on the bottom of the mask. Whenever I breathe out through my nose the water flows out the bottom seal of the mask because it has a less pressure than the rest of the mask seal. I've been using this method to great advantage for decades.

I must admit that when I started this practice, mask seals and purge valves didn't work well for me, my diving, or my mustache. Since it worked, I have not revisited the purge valve, but mask seals have improved.

Bob
Interesting Bob. I've found that having the strap low leads to more leaking than the exhale gets rid of. Perhaps it's too low. :)

Interesting Bob. I've found that having the strap low leads to more leaking than the exhale gets rid of. Perhaps it's too low. :)

Exactly, the difference is quite subtle. Actually, put the mask on how you normally would, and it might work like that. The difference in position is in millimeters not a 1/4 inch, you only need a very slight difference to let the pressure relieve through the bottom mask seal. Kind of like buoyancy, you screw around with it for a while and when you get it, it becomes easier to produce the proper result.

Bob

I've now got a decent number of dives in on my SeaVision mask and the only issue I encountered was not keeping the strap tight enough. Glad I got it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom