Second X1, Xeo, Suunto DX or Petrel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luganodiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Question: I am a very happy user of an X1 as my primary computer. Now I want to ditch my bulky Galileo for a more up to date secondary device.

alternatives:

1) Second X1
2) Xeo
3) suunto Dx
4) Petrel

ideas, anyone?

None of the above...get a Xen bottom timer.

To amplify, If you're using an X1 right now, more than likely you'd be running VPM by Ross Hemingway. If the purpose is to be a fully redundant backup computer, then I'd strongly advise using the same algorithm. That would be either another X1, or, the Petrel (it is available with VPM, too, IIRC).

You can have the Xeo mimic your VPM schedules by playing with the gradient factors, but why? Cut to the chase and get the same thing (VPM).

I know people that have Shearwater computers love them and are very vocal about it. They are indeed fine computers and I've been happy with their performance when diving them. Before going that route, though, do yourself a favor: find a Petrel and strap it on next to your arm next to your X1, there is a huge size difference. Heck, there's a big size difference between the Petrel and the Xeo, for that matter.

Notice I didn't say anything about the Suunto...

Still. I'll repeat my original recommendation: get a Xen bottom timer. It will be a lot more flexible.

All the best, James

Very good point, James. I will get a second X1. Most reliable thing around. And the Suunto for driving my convertible to Portofino, Italy, where I spend my diving weekens. Thank you,

Thank you,

Davide

Really stupid question.. but if you have two computers, and they display differently, which one is right?

As a quick answer, the one that shows the most deco wins.

There's more to it than that, though. The most powerful computer we have is the one between our ears...the thoughtful deco diver will always have a good idea of what the deco should be, just based on bottom times and depths. I'd evaluate the two disagreeing computers to see which one was wildly wrong, or, which way between the two I'd bias the stops.

All the best, James

The most powerful computer we have is the one between our ears...

Yes Miss Landers.......:)

Xeo's are nice and small, lots of power in a small package.

Your X1 can run VPM or Buhlmann GF, as can the Petrel, while the Xeo runs Buhlmann GF(or RGBM). The Suunto can't run any of them, so it's the odd man out. I've been diving an X1 for several years, but I really like the Petrel too.

My husband and I just got Xeos. We hope to use them for some upcoming tech training. We are to tartly in love with them. I really love the touch screen, size and brightness.
i find it very user intuitive for a total non- computer type.
my husband is a computer geek and he loves his, too.
we downloaded the additional RGBM program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom