Securing camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon m

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey all-
moving into the world beyond point and shoot, i am starting to wonder-
how do you secure your rig while diving? are you holding it the whole time?? if so, do you have a lanyard of some sort attached as a backup?
what about shore dives? are you walking in holding your camera?
thanks!!!

Couple of stainless clips tied to a piece of small bungee cord. Put a split ring on the camera tray. Then you can clip the camera tightly to a d-ring when needed, and still have it attached to a piece of bungee at all times for extra safety while shooting.

I used a Jet Ski lanyard.
It coils real neat but if the poop hits the fan I can drop the rig and deal with any emergency. The rig will fall just past my feet so I wont kick it.

I have a brass swivel eye on a d-ring at my hip that I clip the camera into. Don't use it much as I've got a near death grip on my camera throughout my entire dive. :) I used a lanyard at one point, but it seemed to get in my way a lot. I try not to put myself in situations where I'm likely to lose the camera--I leave the camera behind if the conditions are really harsh since it probably doesn't make for great pictures anyway. Good conditions no problem!

I clip it off a shoulder D-ring on challenging dives and just warp the coil around my wrist on shallow dives.

ItemLrgPic4A19005.jpg

I clip it off a shoulder D-ring on challenging dives and just warp the coil around my wrist on shallow dives.

ItemLrgPic4A19005.jpg

Used that for over 12 years with my S&S MM II...When I went to a Canon digital last year(with no strobe) I just clip off the lanyard on a BC D-ring via a snap bolt---the camera setup is positive bouyant & I love it that away--always know where it is..lol..

I use two lanyards attached to the housing. This works great if I need to use hands for any reason other than photography (current, helping another diver, etc). The clips work very nicely to hold the camera close. When shooting I release the clips for extra length, but it is still attached.

The other security item is excellent insurance coverage.

Hope the pics below help. The third photo is a do it yourself handle for the rig that has worked really well handing the camera from a boat to me. I have a similar set-up for strobes.

Good luck,

Dan

Attachments

• Subal_Lanyard_Double.jpg
    Subal_Lanyard_Double.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Subal_Lanyard_Single.jpg
    Subal_Lanyard_Single.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Subal_Holder.jpg
    Subal_Holder.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 49
thanks for all the replies (and photos!!!!)
looks like i'm gonna go with the DX-1G and the ys-110 strobe, bought in a package.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom