securing tanks in RIB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How are you guys securing your tanks in your RIBs? I keep my gas tank (11' AB Inflatable w 20hp 2 stroke) up front near the bow locker. I guess I'll figure a way to strap them down near the transom.

Steve

That is a small RIB, so tank holders won't have a place to mount. I have a SIB but just lay them on the floor. I have seen rubber mats used. My friend had one from Taco Bell in his 13ft Whaler. There is also Dri-Dek which works well for some things and not for others. I can't stand the stuff when barefoot. In my little boat I just let the tanks beat up the aluminum floors, but mine is a work boat and I don't care.

I usually just lay the tanks down in the front of the boat. Dunno how your boat is balanced but putting tank weight on the transom could make it harder to get on-plane.

Just finished covering the floor of my fiberglass RIB with Industrial rubber kitchen matting. Each 3'x3' section was about $25 at Smart and Final. Similar to this: 3 x 3' Modular Mat - Drainage H-2341 - Uline

I have a 20' Zodiac Hurricane... I just lie my tanks on mats up front, but I have an internal fuel tank. I pretty much only dive doubles as well, so they don't roll anywhere! In your boat, you'll want to try to balance the weight as best you can...

If you have tanks that might roll grab a pool noodle. Chop it into three pieces and use some cord to fix the three pieces in parallel. You now have a holder for two tanks! (and much cheaper than the store bought holders)

BTW - For those of you who want to pad a floor, look into "horse stall mats" (sold at places like Tractor Supply)..... inexpensive and functional....

Fixed it for you!

BTW - For those of you who want to pad a floor, look into "horse stall mats" (sold at places like Tractor Supply)..... inexpensive, functional....and super heavy....

Back
Top Bottom