Seeking advice on affordable dive vacation / certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schancr

New
Reaction score
I currently reside in Minnesota, US. I have a NAUI advanced certification, and this summer/fall I am hoping to get my Master certification. I've done plenty of diving here in cold, murky waters, and I am looking at making my next training experience a little more enjoyable. I would like to take a week or two to travel somewhere to get my Master certification where I could enjoy some warmer waters and better visibility and marine life. Can anyone recommend some reputable places that I should look into? Anyplace from Florida to Mexico to the Bahamas I had in mind. Doing an internet search returns some pretty sketchy looking places, so I would like someone's personal opinion or experience. Thanks!

Cozumel is a good place to start. The prices are relatively cheap, the diving is amazing, and it is a fun place. Diving the reefs, walls, and cenotes, exploring Myan Ruins on the mainland, going to one of the many parks in the area, or hanging out at the beach or in town, it is tough to run out of things to do.

Click this http://www.scubaboard.com/f41.html and start reading.

For a Master Diver who has limited experience with dive travel and ocean diving, I'd give high consideration to

SE Florida & the Keys - you speak the language and the diving is decent.
Bonaire - wonderfully easy shore diving with terrific shore diving and small life.
Cozumel - party central with some excellent drift diving.

I would certainly look to do extensive diving in Bonaire. The island is protected from huricane weather most of the time and there are many oportunitys to dive both on boats and beach diving. One of the better dive operations is Tocan Divers located near the Plaza resort. Have fun and get in the water.

Schancr,

Go to Utila, Bay Islands Honduras. Find a room, Usually less than $10 night. Suggest you contact Steve at www.Deepblueutila.com. You can do your Master's and possibly a DM course in two weeks. Will be pretty intense but rewarding. Cost wiil be much less than U.S. They have both all inclusive and regular programs. Sounds like you would be interested in their regular training program. You can send Steve an email. He'll gladly answer all your questions.

regards,

One word. . .Cozumel.

Utila is a definately a great place to do your DM course. Deep blue is a great shop but not the only one on Utila there are around 10 dive centers on Utila and most of them offer a great DM course. If you do it on Utila you will most likely be doing the internship option which means you will get real experience with real students. Remember when you get there you will probably be spending 3-6 weeks with your instructors so check them out and make sure you're gonna get on with them. Check out all the PADI 5 star centers on the island. They're all great and all very professional in their approach to diver training.

Coz is a good start, maybe one of the best for cheap. Bonaire is probably the easiest and is not as expensive as some places like the Caymans or T&C. If you choose to try Florida the one thing that we've found is it can be very weather dependent on the time of year that you coose to dive. We've hit it wrong in Florida where the waves are too big and no ops will venture out. Maybe the clearest water is in Coz., best inter-action with animal dive would be Stingray City GC., the most varied pelegics might be T&C. There are so many choices, it all depends on what you are personaly looking for in a dive.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom