Seeking Advice on FX1 and Light & Motion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeaceDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Curious as to what those of you using the FX1 and the housing designed for it by Light & Motion...

1) Do you find it significantly heavier than other L&M housings with smaller cameras? I just got rid of an Equinox housing for the DVX100a because it was rediculously cumbersome in the water. I'm looking to make the jump to another pro-level camera rig, but afraid I'll need to drop another 20lbs from my weight pockets.

2) Is the resolution of the image that much more impressive in most situations you watch the video in than a high-end DV camera such as the VX2000? Since we can't burn Hi-Def DVDs yet and only one program on the Mac can even deal with HDV, is is worth it to make the expensive jump?

Keep in mind, before you reply, that I'm only interested in Light & Motion gear. Otherwise, any and all thoughts appreciated.

Lets see:

1. Well the camera is significantly bigger, so the housing is much bigger than the Bluefin 2100 housing...AS the housings have yet to begin shipping, I have not had the opp. to take one underwater, only hold it and play with it on land. However from experience with the Gates housing (size comparison) the larger size makes it VERY easy to shoot steady video and once underwater, suprisingly the larger housing moves nicely through the water. L&M housings have a much different feel than Equinox housings...

2. I NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN MY Z1 footage when compared to VX2100 footage...remember HD is new and upcoming...more software and hardware is coming out monthly...

I would say that making the investment is well worth it. I love the FX1/Z1. Its been around the world in the last 6 months and has produced a lot of quality footage.

I think that you will be pleasantly pleased with the Camera & L&M housing. Let me know if you have any other specific questions or if there is anything I can help you with.

I think I'll be coming out to the west coast to do your try-before-you-buy program...how does that sound? :D

Sounds good once I actually get one. I use the Z1 in a Gates housing but I am looking at bringing an L&M into rental as well. Question is when are they going to deliver them....im hoping within the next few weeks ill be getting one in

Peace Dog,

We have two of the FX-1 housings and I think they are freekin awsome. They are not cumbersome in the water. We used the Equinox and we called it the majic bus because of its size. It was always iffy on the parts that operated the camera and was just set up bad. We also used the Seacam Sys housings and found them to have a flaw when we went past 70 feet and ruined one of our FX-1 cameras. We now use the Sea and Sea. It has a great seal system and a great ease of use. It has no bulky weights and the aluminum housing is tough. THe system is designed so it is only 3 ounces negative in the water and is light enough out of the water to actually get a shot while the camera is in the housing. There is a great hydrophone that gets awsome underwater sounds also. I have yet to upgrade to the wider angle lens but plan to do so soon. The FX-1 housings are great, they have alot of potential for customizing also. They have performed flawless in 5 expeditions so far in terrible conditions. Although we took as much care of them as possible there is no way to transport housings by 4wd truck to a Panga for an hour without putting them through a beating.

and thats my opinion.

The gates housing is awsome I hear also. But I have never used it. Im totaly happy with the Sea and Sea FX-1 housings we have.

GTB
www.spearfishingvideos.com
www.gonetobaja.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom