Seeking alternative to boots and booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

legato1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, so far i have been diving with mares 2mm low top dive boots and scuba pro heavy duty boots. I usually enter from shore diving lakes and rivers in south texas. The problem i have is the boot twisting around on my foot when im wet walking towards the water. They fit properly and its not as much of a problem with the scuba pros, but i would like something that grips well on the rocks/ground and ties down so its not wiggling around when im climbing around on rocks with full gear. Ive heard of people diving with converse and other regular boots, I was looking into the Palladium pampa with a wool or neoprene sock. Any advice? I am currently using aqualung slingshot fins, but will be purchasing a new pair before my next dive, ive narrowed it down to apeks rk3 or hollis f1. Thanks - Stanley

Last edited:
I like Converse All Stars in a half size bigger than my normal shoe. It lets me wear a couple different thicknesses of neoprene sock when I'm diving wet, and fits over my drysuit socks when diving dry.

Mares, Henderson, and SP all make boots with more support

Mares Flexa:

412626.e01ce3bb.jpg

Henderson AquaLock
thumb.php

Scuba Pro

scu_15906__.jpg

Those are the scuba pro boots that I currently dive with, I still feel that my foot slides around inside the boot when on rocky surfaces.

I dive Converse with 5mm neoprene socks and Hollis F1s. I have also occasionally added a pair of woolen hiking socks under this. Here's some things to consider if you decide to go that route.
- The sole on these sneakers is very firm, good for finning but I can't imagine it will be a lot of fun scrambling over rocks. I've only used it in sand and gravel and it's fine there.
- Converse are quite narrow and the F1 foot pocket is wide-ish. I'm not familiar with the fins you have now but the Converse+F1 combination can result in varying degrees of lateral movement when you have the fin on, maybe too much to be workable. I would suggest that you try out the size combo that fits you at your LDS if possible before you buy the fins. Going up a size or two with Converse doesn't help with this particular issue as the width doesn't differ appreciably as you go up. You can move the spring straps on the F1 to the screw position that shortens them (this is what worked for me) but make sure it doesn't become so tight it's uncomfortable.
- Zappos return policy is awesome and you can order multiple shoes from them and keep the one you want.
- I liked the hi-top over the lo-top Converse. The part of the shoe that goes around the ankle is flexible canvas, not firm like the rest of the body of the shoe and gives that extra little bit of protection near the Achilles tendon in case you want to wear the spring strap very tight.
- Definitely ditch the laces that come with the shoes and get Lock Laces. Waaay more convenient and never come undone in the water, something that happened each and every time for me with the normal laces.

Im going to order a pair of converse hi tops and a pair of the palladiums. I ended up ordering the hollis f1 last night in xl. I like the scuba pro boots, and they fit properly, but at the sites my dive school likes to train i have to climb over a bunch of rocks when wet. The sole sticks buy my foot slides forward or side to side and kind of stretches the neoprene. Its not that bad, but i just dont want to fall on rocks with all my gear on.

Im going to order a pair of converse hi tops and a pair of the palladiums. I ended up ordering the hollis f1 last night in xl. I like the scuba pro boots, and they fit properly, but at the sites my dive school likes to train i have to climb over a bunch of rocks when wet. The sole sticks buy my foot slides forward or side to side and kind of stretches the neoprene. Its not that bad, but i just dont want to fall on rocks with all my gear on.

If your foot slides forward/backward and side/side... you have the wrong size booties.

Try wearing a pair of wool cycling socks inside. Henderson and others also make a 1mm neoprene sock.

I wear the cycling socks under my wet boots (SP Delta's) as I'm in between sizes so it fills the space a bit, and it grabs the inside of the boot so no "sliding" per se. Plus, wearing socks inside the boots is just more comfortable on my feet wear-and-tear wise than the boot by itself. Especially in places like Bonaire where you're humping around quite a bit.

aside from Chucks, I use a dry suit boot with neoprene socks. Yes, ditch the conventional laces on any "shoe" style footwear. I never can understand what they were thinking regarding laces (other than "cheap")....

I was wearing a light wool sock to prevent blisters, the boots fit properly, but i felt like my foot was going over the sole and stretching the neoprene, its hard to explain, ill take some pics next time i use them. How many sizes larger do yall get in chucks for the 3mm neoprene socks?

I know exactly what you mean... the "side wall" stretches and your foot does not stay in the "foot bed". Get canvas Chucks, the canvas doesn't stretch. Bring the liner socks you want to wear, and size appropriately....

Back
Top Bottom