Seeking Canister Light Counsel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pook-60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Howdy

I've been reading ya’lls responses on helping others...looking for your critical thinking on the following as I shop for "just the right" primary light. I’ve hurt my head studying all the different options and need some counsel to get out of a “do-loop.” First some context:

About me…
Dive depth: 130ft max
Dive area: Primarily mid-Atlantic (wreck dives...no penetration thus far). Daytime vis is 30 ft with quick drops in clarity depending on current shifts (speed/direction). Secondaries are the local quarry (Lake Rawlings) and occasional Caribbean trips.
Experience: Relative newbie (20 or so) with no night dives...but I really, REALLY want to. Have AOW accomplished.
Future dive desires: Wreck penetration...not much on caves

Light desires… (in priority order):
1. Colors...want to see the colors
2. Versatile application day/night (want to see everything but not scare the "locals")
3. Small head...UK Light Cannon type just too cumbersome
4. Last 3 dives typically 30 min duration
5. Focusable lens (I “think” this helps penetrate visibility obstacles…I could be wrong…will be again)
6. Goodman or head-mount
7. Easy access switch on lamp
8. Mounting the battery pack...unsure

Products studied thus far:
Halcyon Helios 4.5 ah 10W HID $985
Dive Rite HID 10W M11 Wreck $759
Nite Rider HID $625
Nocturnal TL50 Extreme Halogen $780
Salvo 21W HID 9ah $1,199

I’ve got some emotional issues to overcome in crossing the $1,000 line…doesn’t balance well with my “Go Large or Stay Home” attitude. But I can adjust…especially if you know of cheaper prices than I’ve found.

Please help and thank you.
Dane

You might want to take a look at the Green Force lights as well.
I dive with a Greenforce flexi II/HID 50, it doesn't quite fit all of your criteria but it is a nice light. The color warmth is fantastic (6200 K) and it slices through the murk quite nicely, the battery will last for approximately 4 hours and you have the option of either mounting the battery on your harness/tank and using the umbilical for a hnads free set up or putting a handle on the battery and using it as a hand held light. The downsides to the greenforce lights are that A) They're expensive and B) the light heads are a bit on the long side. The lights also unfocusable, but for all intents and purposes I've found that my 13 degree beam works just fine. Another nice thing about the green force lights is that they're modular, so if you find that while your HID light head is great for wreck diving, it tends to scare away the life at night you can purchase on eof the LED of halogen light heads rather than buy an entire new light. I would avoid the greenforce goodman handles at all costs though - great light design, baaadddd handle design.

I have also used a focusable light and do see the advantage for signaling, but as i said before, this hasn't really been a problem with my unfocusable light head.
If a big concern of yours is the size of the light head I'd take a look at the OMS cannister lights, they're HID and quite compact (again, unfocusable).
Really though, if you're going to shell out 1000 bucks on a light chances are you're going to be happy with it no matter what you get, at that price they're all pretty quality. Of the lights you posted I'd probably go with a salvo.
My $0.02
Happy diving!

http://www.green-force.com
http://www.omsdive.com

My experience with the "focusable" light head on my Salvo is that I use it 99% of the time with the beam focused -- the "focusable" option really ought to be labelled "unfocusable", since what it does is give you the option of spreading the beam out in conditions where you want to illuminate a larger area. I think this would come in VERY handy in caves, but in practice in OW, I don't use it. For the purposes of signalling and looking at sea life, the tight beam is fine.

I started with a Nite Rider, which has many nice qualities in a light. It has a sealed battery pack which is quite difficult to flood. The clip connection on the battery makes it possible to attach it to a traditional BC (although the battery comes off pretty easily, too). The light head is TINY and the velcro hand attachment is easy to adjust. But the 10W power is NOT useful in clear water in the daytime, and the focus on the lighthead isn't very good.

I now have a 21W Salvo, which is what you want, and what you'll end up with eventually :) Focused head, very bright beam, comparatively small lighthead if you get the remote ballast. By report, the reliability of these lights (which is the Achilles' heel of HID lights) is good, and I have not yet had any problem with mine.

In fact, my Salvo light is my single favorite piece of gear.

I'm sure we will soon be welcome you into the "thousand dollar flashlight" club!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

Well...Salvo seems to be the winner. Time to embrace the horror and shell out the cash. Is there a better price than the $1199 I found for the 21W 9ah? Does Salvo offer a discount for SB folks?

TX
Dane

I have a Sartek 10 watt HID with a focusable beam. I use this light for almost all of my diving. Here are my reactions in differing environments...

Daytime dive in a good visibility area like Hawaii or Florida... My light is barely worth it unless I just want to bring out the color when I am deep.

Daytime dive in a not so good visibility area like Virginia Beach or California... My light is helpful but compared to a 21 watt it really comes up short.

Night dive, or Overhead dive where artificial light is the only light... My light is really good. Your eyes will adjust to whatever light is available. In an overhead environment I adjust it to a narrow concentrated beam and it is just about perfect. On a night dive in the ocean I adjust the beam angle to a wide flood and am quite happy. The wide angle helps me not to blind the fish, so I actually get to see what I got in the water to see. On a night dive the 21 watt monsters are too bright for my taste.

You need to pick the right light for the environment you dive in, but whatever you pick it will almost certainly not be perfect for all environments.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

Pook-60:
Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

Well...Salvo seems to be the winner. Time to embrace the horror and shell out the cash. Is there a better price than the $1199 I found for the 21W 9ah? Does Salvo offer a discount for SB folks?

TX
Dane

Hi Pook,

I wanted to chime in, If you have made your decision, good luck with your light. If not, Feel free to ask any questions. We offer a wide variety of products that will fit your needs and your budget. Our 21 watt HID system is impact resistant and extremely bright and you can get it in either a 4.5ah or 9ah. ($951 or $1156) If you were interested in the 10 watt HID with either a 6 degree or 13 degree bulb it would be in the range of $800 (4.5ah) or $1000 (9ah). The banner on the side lists the versatility.

Thanks – Greg

S. starfish:
You might want to take a look at the Green Force lights as well.
I dive with a Greenforce flexi II/HID 50, it doesn't quite fit all of your criteria but it is a nice light. The color warmth is fantastic (6200 K) and it slices through the murk quite nicely, the battery will last for approximately 4 hours and you have the option of either mounting the battery on your harness/tank and using the umbilical for a hnads free set up or putting a handle on the battery and using it as a hand held light. The downsides to the greenforce lights are that A) They're expensive and B) the light heads are a bit on the long side. The lights also unfocusable, but for all intents and purposes I've found that my 13 degree beam works just fine. Another nice thing about the green force lights is that they're modular, so if you find that while your HID light head is great for wreck diving, it tends to scare away the life at night you can purchase on eof the LED of halogen light heads rather than buy an entire new light. I would avoid the greenforce goodman handles at all costs though - great light design, baaadddd handle design.

I have also used a focusable light and do see the advantage for signaling, but as i said before, this hasn't really been a problem with my unfocusable light head.
If a big concern of yours is the size of the light head I'd take a look at the OMS cannister lights, they're HID and quite compact (again, unfocusable).
Really though, if you're going to shell out 1000 bucks on a light chances are you're going to be happy with it no matter what you get, at that price they're all pretty quality. Of the lights you posted I'd probably go with a salvo.
My $0.02
Happy diving!

http://www.green-force.com
http://www.omsdive.com

Hey S.starfish,

Thanks for your support. Regarding the goodman handles, we designed our own called the lowRider, very popular, it is a low profile. The goodman handles from Green Foece are a little more bulky. Go to www.mantaindustries.com and take a look. BTW, we have 6 degree bulbs.

Thanks again
Greg

Back
Top Bottom