DIR- Generic Seeking gear advice for moving to drysuit / doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

jrgregory

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
Recently got Fundies Rec Pass in single-tank / wetsuit, and my GUE instructor's advice was to start making the transition to drysuit / doubles, neither of which I have used before. I have future aspirations for T1 / CCR / Cave (but first need to make 94 more non-training dives apparently, so I'm a few years away...).

My drysuit is on order, and I'm set up to take SDI drysuit diver and AOW here at home when my suit arrives. There are 4 local GUE divers here who are a great resource, including my SDI instructor, but I have some questions I'm hoping to run by the collective brain here.

Current gear set-up:
Santi E.lite+ is on order from EE. I've secured Halcyon Legend 40# wing, and well-maintained used LP85 cylinders / manifold / bands. Will be using HOG D3s.

I know a lot of these questions are personal preference or situational, but would love to hear what has worked well for people:

(1) Undergarments
Planning to dive in temps from 45 F - 80 F - trying to figure out how to layer (keeping in mind no deco yet).
I bought a Fourth Element Arctic 1-piece, but need to return it (too big), so open to any suggestions. Is it OK to use Smartwool or REI baselayers, or are the synthetic diving ones highly recommended?

(2) Drygloves
At what temp do most people start using drygloves? Would I want them for MDL dives in 50 F, for instance?
Considering buying the Santi SmartGloves ring system. After that, is it just some kind of wool liner from REI and then non-diving chemical gloves? I've seen people mention Showa 720s?

(3) Weighting:
So far I have run SS BP, and hard weights split between cam trim pockets and weight belt (and I own a tail pouch I haven't used yet). With single AL80, I needed 12lbs with 5mm in freshwater, and also 12lbs with 2mm in ocean.
Any recommendations for where to put weight with LP85 doubles and drysuit? Should I get a V-weight pouch? Will I need to buy a lot more weight?

(4) What am I missing?
Trying to figure out what else I will need to be dive-ready once the new Santi arrives. For instance, will it come with an inflator hose?
For P-valve, I'm guessing I need to buy condom catheters, but is there anything else? I've seen some discussion of quick-disconnects, aftermarket tubing, separate glues - not sure what is necessary vs. nice-to-have.

Thanks in advance! I've learned a ton on this forum, and really appreciate all the experience everyone is willing to share here.

V weight is good. Halcyon also makes a pouch that you can load with weight when you’re traveling. Pretty slick.

Can’t help you with dry gloves.

Undergarments are pretty personal. I’m either in a 400g thinsulate or a 200g thinsulate. DUI, Santi, whatever, all work. For a base layer, an REI base should do fine. Just no cotton.

Your suit will probably come with a hose. It’ll probably be too long, but it’s not a real issue because it’s routed under the left shoulder strap.

You don’t need a QD on your p valve. Rochester Wide Bands are what you want. Nothing else is needed.

Hi all,
Recently got Fundies Rec Pass in single-tank / wetsuit, and my GUE instructor's advice was to start making the transition to drysuit / doubles, neither of which I have used before. I have future aspirations for T1 / CCR / Cave (but first need to make 94 more non-training dives apparently, so I'm a few years away...).

My drysuit is on order, and I'm set up to take SDI drysuit diver and AOW here at home when my suit arrives. There are 4 local GUE divers here who are a great resource, including my SDI instructor, but I have some questions I'm hoping to run by the collective brain here.

Current gear set-up:
Santi E.lite+ is on order from EE. I've secured Halcyon Legend 40# wing, and well-maintained used LP85 cylinders / manifold / bands. Will be using HOG D3s.

I know a lot of these questions are personal preference or situational, but would love to hear what has worked well for people:

(1) Undergarments
Planning to dive in temps from 45 F - 80 F - trying to figure out how to layer (keeping in mind no deco yet).
I bought a Fourth Element Arctic 1-piece, but need to return it (too big), so open to any suggestions. Is it OK to use Smartwool or REI baselayers, or are the synthetic diving ones highly recommended?

(2) Drygloves
At what temp do most people start using drygloves? Would I want them for MDL dives in 50 F, for instance?
Considering buying the Santi SmartGloves ring system. After that, is it just some kind of wool liner from REI and then non-diving chemical gloves? I've seen people mention Showa 720s?

(3) Weighting:
So far I have run SS BP, and hard weights split between cam trim pockets and weight belt (and I own a tail pouch I haven't used yet). With single AL80, I needed 12lbs with 5mm in freshwater, and also 12lbs with 2mm in ocean.
Any recommendations for where to put weight with LP85 doubles and drysuit? Should I get a V-weight pouch? Will I need to buy a lot more weight?

(4) What am I missing?
Trying to figure out what else I will need to be dive-ready once the new Santi arrives. For instance, will it come with an inflator hose?
For P-valve, I'm guessing I need to buy condom catheters, but is there anything else? I've seen some discussion of quick-disconnects, aftermarket tubing, separate glues - not sure what is necessary vs. nice-to-have.

Thanks in advance! I've learned a ton on this forum, and really appreciate all the experience everyone is willing to share here.
1. Buy a diving undergarment. The weight is largely personal, I hate being sold and dive arctics in 70 degree water and a Halo AR with heat in cold water. Your good quality base layers are fine and REI housebrand or smartwool will be perfect.
2. Again mostly personal above 50 degrees. I wear dry gloves in less than 65 degree water, but some don't want to deal with them until it gets really cold.
3. A v weight and a tail weight will suit most anybody in doubles. I can't tell you how much as it varies so much from diver to diver.
4. hose should be included.
Rochester wide bands, also sometimes Bard widebands, buy a few sizes and try them on.
Note when you try them on, use a lot of baby powder first or you will be wearing it all day. They aren't made to be put on and immediately removed. Once you have a size sorted, order them up. Quick connects can be nice but aren't needed. You should't need any additional glue. If you have trouble with them sticking an alcohol wipe before applying will take care of that for most people.

Thanks for the replies - very helpful!

One more noob question:
I've picked up a few random small items - Nautilus Lifeline GPS, whistle, signal mirror - and am trying to figure out how to best carry them. Do I just put them in zippered section of right pocket? Is a bolt snap necessary?

Hi all,

Current gear set-up:

(1) Undergarments
In 45 degree water I'm wearing something like the Halo ARs now (thanks @Tracy), before that I was wearing 3d's but honestly heat is nice at that point.

I combine that with FE J2's and potentially Xerotherms as well.

(2) Drygloves
I use them if the water is below 70

(3) Weighting:

Solid v-weight or v-weight pouch. Depending on how much weight you're using don't overlook a weight belt under the harness. I think LP85s tend to be a bit head heavy for most people just using a weight belt lets you run more gas in your feet.
(4) What am I missing?

Just use condom catheters, for women the quick disconnects are really nice but not needed for men. No extra glue is required.

One more noob question:
I've picked up a few random small items - Nautilus Lifeline GPS, whistle, signal mirror - and am trying to figure out how to best carry them. Do I just put them in zippered section of right pocket? Is a bolt snap necessary?
I keep the signal mirror in the pocket, I don't carry a whistle or nautilus. If I did I'd put bolt snap on them.

One more noob question:
I don't carry a whistle or a nautilus, but the nautilus could easily stash in a drysuit pocket.
My signal mirror is shoved in the back of my wetnotes, mostly because I haven't ever taken it out. If you aren't carrying lights, they can be a lifesaver, but I can't think of a dive where I don't have a light with me and that directed beam is going to be more useful than a mirror.

In 45 degree water I'm wearing something like the Halo ARs now (thanks @Tracy), before that I was wearing 3d's but honestly heat is nice at that point.

I combine that with FE J2's and potentially Xerotherms as well.

What is the warmest water where you would wear your Halo AR, before you start getting too hot?
Would you ever wear it without a baselayer underneath?

I've heard a lot of good things about Halo AR, though not sure I need to drop $700 if there's only a month or two out of the year where our quarry is under 50.

My goal was to cover the range of 45-85 F for under $1,000 - which I was planning on doing with Smartwool base, Xerotherm top/bottom, and Arctic 1-piece - but the AR is very tempting...

What is the warmest water where you would wear your Halo AR, before you start getting too hot?

You could I never have.

I wear the 2 piece artics for 75 to 60f adding j2s and Xerotherms as it gets colder or I’m just floating around doing skills.

Below like 65 I start switching the halos.

I've heard a lot of good things about Halo AR, though not sure I need to drop $700 if there's only a month or two out of the year where our quarry is under 50.
Probably not needed, but the reality is you’re going to end up with them eventually. The artics + xero + j2s are the most versatile. I prefer the 2 piece to the 1 piece.

My goal was to cover the range of 45-85 F for under $1,000 - which I was planning on doing with Smartwool base, Xerotherm top/bottom, and Arctic 1-piece - but the AR is very tempting...

I have worn my AR in 72 degree water and it is very comfortable. The issue is suiting up or standing around on the surface. The arctics aren't much better for standing around, but a little bit helps.

At this point, it probably isn't something you need. But as you dive more and gain more experience, you start to move less which generates less heat and you wind up needing more undies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom