DIR- Generic Seeking gear advice for moving to drysuit / doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

jrgregory

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
Recently got Fundies Rec Pass in single-tank / wetsuit, and my GUE instructor's advice was to start making the transition to drysuit / doubles, neither of which I have used before. I have future aspirations for T1 / CCR / Cave (but first need to make 94 more non-training dives apparently, so I'm a few years away...).

My drysuit is on order, and I'm set up to take SDI drysuit diver and AOW here at home when my suit arrives. There are 4 local GUE divers here who are a great resource, including my SDI instructor, but I have some questions I'm hoping to run by the collective brain here.

Current gear set-up:
Santi E.lite+ is on order from EE. I've secured Halcyon Legend 40# wing, and well-maintained used LP85 cylinders / manifold / bands. Will be using HOG D3s.

I know a lot of these questions are personal preference or situational, but would love to hear what has worked well for people:

(1) Undergarments
Planning to dive in temps from 45 F - 80 F - trying to figure out how to layer (keeping in mind no deco yet).
I bought a Fourth Element Arctic 1-piece, but need to return it (too big), so open to any suggestions. Is it OK to use Smartwool or REI baselayers, or are the synthetic diving ones highly recommended?

(2) Drygloves
At what temp do most people start using drygloves? Would I want them for MDL dives in 50 F, for instance?
Considering buying the Santi SmartGloves ring system. After that, is it just some kind of wool liner from REI and then non-diving chemical gloves? I've seen people mention Showa 720s?

(3) Weighting:
So far I have run SS BP, and hard weights split between cam trim pockets and weight belt (and I own a tail pouch I haven't used yet). With single AL80, I needed 12lbs with 5mm in freshwater, and also 12lbs with 2mm in ocean.
Any recommendations for where to put weight with LP85 doubles and drysuit? Should I get a V-weight pouch? Will I need to buy a lot more weight?

(4) What am I missing?
Trying to figure out what else I will need to be dive-ready once the new Santi arrives. For instance, will it come with an inflator hose?
For P-valve, I'm guessing I need to buy condom catheters, but is there anything else? I've seen some discussion of quick-disconnects, aftermarket tubing, separate glues - not sure what is necessary vs. nice-to-have.

Thanks in advance! I've learned a ton on this forum, and really appreciate all the experience everyone is willing to share here.

Got it - thanks guys.

If I upped the budget a bit and went for Halo AR, Xerotherm, and wool baselayers, do you think that would give me the versatility along the temp range? Or would I miss having something at the Arctic level in the lineup? (not sure what the Thinsulate weight corollaries are...)

I have worn my AR in 72 degree water and it is very comfortable. The issue is suiting up or standing around on the surface. The arctics aren't much better for standing around, but a little bit helps.

Makes sense - had not considered the surface part.

Got it - thanks guys.

If I upped the budget a bit and went for Halo AR, Xerotherm, and wool baselayers, do you think that would give me the versatility along the temp range? Or would I miss having something at the Arctic level in the lineup? (not sure what the Thinsulate weight corollaries are...)
I have xerotherms and never use them. My wife loves hers and swears by them. Unfortunately everybody is different with regards to temperature. I am cold if it is below 70 in my house, my wife opens the bedroom window in the middle of winter.

Arctics are my light undie, for a bit cooler I wear the baselayer under, then a halo, then a halo with baselayer and heat.

Hi all,
Recently got Fundies Rec Pass in single-tank / wetsuit, and my GUE instructor's advice was to start making the transition to drysuit / doubles, neither of which I have used before. I have future aspirations for T1 / CCR / Cave (but first need to make 94 more non-training dives apparently, so I'm a few years away...).
First off, congrats on the Rec pass!

(1) Undergarments
Planning to dive in temps from 45 F - 80 F - trying to figure out how to layer (keeping in mind no deco yet).
I bought a Fourth Element Arctic 1-piece, but need to return it (too big), so open to any suggestions. Is it OK to use Smartwool or REI baselayers, or are the synthetic diving ones highly recommended?
Wool is an excellent base layer. Even when wet (leak or condensation) it keeps you warm. Pretty much everyone I know around these parts use wool, and we dive sub 45F all winter.

(2) Drygloves
At what temp do most people start using drygloves? Would I want them for MDL dives in 50 F, for instance?
Considering buying the Santi SmartGloves ring system. After that, is it just some kind of wool liner from REI and then non-diving chemical gloves? I've seen people mention Showa 720s?
I dive drygloves locally all year round, as the temps below 30-40ft stay pretty consistently at <60F even if they wouldn't be necessary in the shallows in the summer. I love the Smart Gloves. So much I actually bought a second pair for backup gloves to be able to change quickly if needed - changing the glove on the ring takes a little bit of fiddling. I would definitely use drygloves at 50F. Showa 720s looks good. I use a wool inner glove, and in the winter I even double up with a thin wool liner inside the wool gloves. Hands get cold first.

(3) Weighting:
So far I have run SS BP, and hard weights split between cam trim pockets and weight belt (and I own a tail pouch I haven't used yet). With single AL80, I needed 12lbs with 5mm in freshwater, and also 12lbs with 2mm in ocean.
Any recommendations for where to put weight with LP85 doubles and drysuit? Should I get a V-weight pouch? Will I need to buy a lot more weight?
I use a 9lbs V-weight + 6lbs on a weight belt for steel doubles and heavy undergarments in salt water. The V-weight definitely helps balance out the tendency to be top heavy, especially when there is less gas in the doubles.

Just use condom catheters, for women the quick disconnects are really nice but not needed for men. No extra glue is required.
A quick-disconnect is actually quite nice. It's not necessary, but it prevents you from becoming literally one with your drysuit. If you ever need to remove your kit and re-don it, the quick-disconnect will save you time and effort.

For example, I often dive quarries that are 50-ish F at the bottom, even during summer. If I'm going to do multiple dives on a warmish day, I'm going to remove the drysuit during my surface interval to avoid roasting myself and to remove condensation. The Q-R connection makes the drysuit removal/donning process a lot easier and faster.

I've been using Xerotherm glove liners; they're pretty warm, if a bit fragile, and they're thin enough to provide good dexterity.

The gloves I've been using are Showa 620s. They're cotton-lined, 18-mil PVC and are reasonably rugged even though they're not specifically cut-resistant. I like them because they're orange.

I've also just ordered a pair of Showa 660s. These are Kevlar-lined 22-mil PVC and are cut-resistant. But they're blue... We'll see how well they work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom