Seeking Intro to Cave Instructor Trainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyNZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Posted on behalf of a friend.

Can anyone recommend an IT who has been approved to conduct Intro to Cave instructor evaluations? Here's the catch, the IT needs to be in one of the following (in order of preference):

1. Australasia
2. UK
3. France
4. SE Asia

My friend is looking at becoming either TDI Intro to Cave or CDAA Cave (= intro) instructor, and is gauging the logistics of doing so. TDI would be the preferred option, but CDAA is looking like it's logistically easier.

Thanks in advance.

Here are the standards for CDAA including instructor prereqs (btw, I don't think CDAA Cave equates to Intro, it seems somewhere between Intro + Full Cave... as it allows thirds and deco, which Intro does not afaik).

http://cavedivers.com.au/download/StandardsProceduresManualV2.0.pdf

Deep Cavern:
Before applying for Interning Instructor status at Deep Cavern level the applicant must meet
the following pre-requisites:
• Be a current member of the CDAA with Penetration rating, and have held membership
for at least two years.
• Have been certified as an active teaching status Instructor with a diving agency, or an
Instructor agency as approved by the National Directorate.
• Hold current Instructor indemnity insurance, which covers Cave diving instruction.
• Submit a current (12 months) medical statement signed by a registered medical
practitioner stating the individual is fit to dive.
• Provide proof of having certified at least 50 students at any recreational level, before
application.
• Have logged at least 75 Cavern/Sinkhole/Cave or Penetration dives in CDAA rated or
equivalent sanctioned sites, and showing a broad range of experience.

Cave:
Before applying for Interning Instructor status at Cave level the applicant must meet all of the
pre-requisites for Deep Cavern and in addition:
• Have logged an additional 20 penetration dives in CDAA rated and/or sanctioned sites

Penetration:

Before applying for Interning Instructor status at Penetration level the applicant must meet all
of the pre-requisites for Cave level, and in addition:
• Show logged experience in three different cave diving regions
• Have completed in excess of 300 Cavern, Sinkhole, Cave or Penetration level dives.
• Have logged an additional 25 penetration dives in CDAA rated and/or sanctioned
sites, with at least 15 of these, in caves with multiple permanent lines.

I presume you could contact them to work out someone to do it with?

Thanks, Sas.

We've been talking to both Jane B and Steve T - CDAA are certainly keen to have instructors here (though they'd have to change their name to the Cave Diving Association of Australasia!) and we've got that route pretty well mapped out.

My friend would in some ways prefer to teach TDI (long story) but we can't find a single TDI IT anywhere that is remotely accessible - which I guess removes the option. :(

Thanks, Sas.

We've been talking to both Jane B and Steve T - CDAA are certainly keen to have instructors here (though they'd have to change their name to the Cave Diving Association of Australasia!) and we've got that route pretty well mapped out.

My friend would in some ways prefer to teach TDI (long story) but we can't find a single TDI IT anywhere that is remotely accessible - which I guess removes the option. :(

Oh sorry, I just noticed what forum I am in, you were looking for TDI instructor (I click 'New Posts' :wink:)... woops. I don't know whether this is helpful but on my last Gambier trip there were some people doing CDAA Cave who were doing TDI Overhead Diving (think that was the name, something like that anyway) at the same time as their instructor taught both. Apparently it was like Cave, enough so they could do both at the same time. The instructor's name was Gary Barclay so maybe he knows where to do the TDI instructor training for a course like Cave.

Andy, why don't you PM Doppler? If there is anybody who meets your criteria, he ought to know.

Sorry Andy: I have not been getting notifications that there are questions here... in any event, I will find out and get back to you.

Posted on behalf of a friend.

Can anyone recommend an IT who has been approved to conduct Intro to Cave instructor evaluations? Here's the catch, the IT needs to be in one of the following (in order of preference):

1. Australasia
2. UK
3. France
4. SE Asia

My friend is looking at becoming either TDI Intro to Cave or CDAA Cave (= intro) instructor, and is gauging the logistics of doing so. TDI would be the preferred option, but CDAA is looking like it's logistically easier.

Thanks in advance.

Andy: Contact Richard Taylor in Australia... he should be able to help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom