Seeking novice wreck dives in Alex Bay area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Anyone know of any novice wreck dives in the St. Lawrence River and/or Alexandria area?

Thanks..

Originally posted by Scuba446
Anyone know of any novice wreck dives in the St. Lawrence River and/or Alexandria area?

Thanks..

What do you mean by "novice wreck dives"? What depth, and conditions are you looking for (or what do you want to avoid)?

I dive regularly from Cornwall to Kingston, Ont -- shore dives and charters.

Well, I'll just be certifed in June, so..probably no deeper than 60 ft for awhile....although I dive a DIR rig and will maybe add a 40 cu in PONY rigged as a stage bottle...

Naturally, nice vis conditions...we'll be diving this summer....

although I dive a DIR rig and will maybe add a 40 cu in PONY rigged as a stage bottle...

I'm sure you know that this RIG will not make you any more advanced then someone diving a traditional BC.

Less advanced dives I would consider to be the Keystorm which starts out at 30ft but goes to advanced levels of 115ft.
Another one that is deeper then what you should be doing right now is the Kingshorn. (90ft to the silt and no real noticable current).

To be totally honest with you I wouldnt consider any wreck dives in the St. Lawrence to be beginner level. (meaning straight out of classes)

There is one that is a wreck but doesnt look like much of a ship and that is the Islander which is a shore dive from in town Alex Bay. 50ft

I'm sure there is more but usually anything that shallow isnt worth diving because its usually all broken up.

Wolf Islander II is a easy dive but still above your training.

Take your time and work your way up by getting in the water all the time. Practice what you've leared over and over in less stressful enviroments then the St. Lawrence.
Good Luck and Happy Diving!!

Scubanarc is right, there really isn't to much in the St Lawrence that fits into what may be considered "novice" level (considering depth and other conditions). Most wrecks are deeper than 60ft, some with significant current.

On the Ontario side, we have a few of shore dives that would fit the bill though. There is the Rothesay and the "water park" at Prescott and the Connestoga at Cardinal. Prescott is about 3/4 hr up from the 1000 island bridge, and Cardinal is another 20 minutes from Prescott (on the other side of the bridge to Ogdensburg. All are within the limits of a novice diver -- in fact we frequently take o/w students to all three locations as part of their training. If you're interest in diving these drop me a PM -- I'll meet you, and guide you on the dives.

I am in the process of scoping out a new site (for me) that is right at the 1000 bridge, that has been used for O/W students. I hope to organize a Ontario Chapter fun time there. Watch for details in the Ontario Forum.

There are some shore dives in Kingston which is close to you
1. The Alexander Henry by the marine museum depths to 40' and you can go under the Alex. which is a retired Coast Guard ice breaker
2 Behind the Portsmouth Coast Guard station. Depths to 25' lots to look at and one of the local instructors has run a line to all the points of interest.
Both sites are no current, good vis, (most of the time) and great places to hone your skills

DivingGal or myself would be happy to give you more info.

although she's a better diver then me:jester:

Originally posted by divedude
There are some shore dives in Kingston which is close to you
1. The Alexander Henry by the marine museum depths to 40' and you can go under the Alex. which is a retired Coast Guard ice breaker
2 Behind the Portsmouth Coast Guard station. Depths to 25' lots to look at and one of the local instructors has run a line to all the points of interest.
Both sites are no current, good vis, (most of the time) and great places to hone your skills

DivingGal or myself would be happy to give you more info.

although she's a better diver then me:jester:

Oh sure I am :D -- but you're far better at moving that boat around...

I am scuba1066 if anyone is using AOL IM....

Thanks for the info..

I have 'Skip' Couch's book "Divers Guide to the St. Lawrence River along with map called "Wrecks of Eastern Lake Ontario & The Upper St. Lawrence.

Can anyone recommend some novice dives around Clayton, Watertown and Alexandria Bay for us newly certified OW divers?

Any web sites have dive info on these wrecks, specifically for THIS area and not the other Great Lakes?

I gave them to you. There's like one charter that runs off the American side and thats Hunts Dive Shop. I wouldnt recommend him. I always go to the Canadian side. Much more charters to choose from and those Canooks are some really nice people and they actually give 2 squats wether or not you come back. There's only one dive on the American side that I know of in the area you speak and thats the Islander in Alex Bay. Dive with the Canadians.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom