seeking reviews of Sea & Sea DX-2G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahmed Yahya

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

i am about to purchase a used Sea & Sea DX-2G system with strobes to advance on uw photography. i am looking for reviews of this camera especially in high iso performance above iso400, focus speed, sharpness and system speed in general. please share your experience.

The camera is a Ricoh GX200. You should be able to find lots of reviews for it.

Was very happy with it while I used it. Took decent pictures in lowish light / moderate vis. Battery life was not terribly great in cold water (i.e 38-42 F)

Now - I tend to use my GoPro now almost exclusively. I prefer hands free - and it's good down to 250' and works in low light. However the Sea & Sea DX-2G is a nice bit of kit.

Bjorn

I have been using the DX series since 2003. First renting the DX-3000 and then buying DX-5000 and a few years ago upgrading to the DX-2G.

I really like using the compact camera. it's easy to travel with, easy to use and gets very good results. Battery life diving in tropical water is amazing! I usually shoot anywhere from 30-60 frames per dive, and often turn the camera off between shots, and usually have plenty of juice to use the camera the rest of the day after a 2 tank morning dive.

I shoot DSLRs above water and I can really tell the difference in files between the two. The 2G files are much more noisy then a DSLR file, but then again you're not really comparing apples to apples, because the sensors aren't even close to the same.

Check out my trip reports (links in my signature) all underwater pics were taken with the 2G. Last year I was still using a YS-25 strobe, this year I used a new YS-01. Other than that, all camera settings are the same.

I also shoot RAW(uncompressed) & run EVERY photo I take through Photoshop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom