Seeking suggestions for Divemaster internship in Indian Ocean/South Pacific

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lilang

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all!

I've just joined ScubaBoard and am enjoying all of the hints and advice.

Although I've read several posts about DM internships on this forum, I'm posting this thread in hopes of getting some specific advice on locations to inquire about a work/study DM internship in the Indian Ocean or the South Pacific. I've been looking into Indonesia, Malaysia, East Timor, Fiji, PNG, etc., but I'm really open for anything in the region.

Several people have said that it's sometimes better to pay for a course than to try to attempt a work-study arrangement, particularly when time is short. My issue is that I've got 3.5 months (early September through mid December) and not a ton of cash. I'm really hoping to find a shop where I can get certifications + board in exchange for hard work. Plus, I'm really into learning more about the day-to-day side of things and hoping to gain a fair amount of experience in the coursework and assisting on dives, which seems harder to do in a 4-6 week DM course.

Just a little bit about me in case it helps with suggestions: I have my own gear and am Advanced Open Water certified (will have Rescue shortly), with over 60+ dives logged (actually have done over 100, but I didn't log them for years). I'm multilingual (fluent English and Italian, decent German and Russian) and love working with people. Obviously diving is my passion, and I can see this being a long-term career!

The reason I'm interested in this region is because I've done a lot of diving in the Caribbean but not much in the Pacific/Indian and would love to explore that region more. I'm also an avid traveler and have lived and worked in India and Cambodia in the past and am always excited to get to know a new place.

Sorry for the novella, but any thoughts based on that info? I've seen that a lot of people in this forum have experience in the region and I'd love to hear any ideas you have about specific shops to contact or people to get in touch with.

Thanks so much, and happy diving! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom