'Segway of the sea'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That site scares me to death. As a new diver I'm just getting used to all the equipment but the thought of sticking my head in a fish bowl and saying "No problem" to this one just doesn't cut it.
I think I'll stick to the tanks on my back.
Thanks for sharing!

They've been around quite awhile in the Keys - called BOB.

I think they have more possibility of reef damage than being a threat to your safety...

It's heavier than scuba equipment. Alot more expensive than scuba equipment. Far more inconvenient than scuba equipment. And it make syou look like a complete idiot. Yep, I'm sold :)

These things were prominently displayed on that BRILLIANT mid-'90's Spielberg production, Seaquest DSV. I believe it was the season two premier episode, when the genetically engineered camouflage-skinned warriors escaped from their island prison and broke into headquarters. Fortunately Roy Scheider and his talking dolphin Darwin saved the day.

I miss that show so very much.

A fool and his money are soon parted! This thing looks like a train wreck looking for a place to happen (imho)
Rob

They have had these things in cancun for years (BOB), they are tethered to the surface to control depth. They are lifted into the water by a crane off the back of the boat then the victim jumps in the water and is helped into the bubble.

I dont know what their safety record is, but I envisage a scary situation where the client swims out of the bubble in a panic and bolts to the surface while breath holding. OTOH, these guys are still around so either they have good lawyers, or they are not injuring anyone.

Ironically, I had the chance to use a real segway in San Francisco this past weekend and it was a blast - so much more fun then I expected they would be.

This looks scarey to me. How do they control buoyancy? Is it auto built in the machine? I like kinda swimming around with the fish, anyone agree?

Back
Top Bottom