Seiko Dive Watch Accuracy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StevenN

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Seiko Orange Monster Automatic dive watch and I'm really frustrated with the accuracy (One of my pet peeves).
I get a variation of 0-10 seconds fast or slow every day seemingly regardless of my activity. Is it my watch in particular or is this common with these watches?

My Rolex Submariner was racing ahead by 10 seconds a day. I took it to an authorized service center for an overhaul and re-calibration and it is almost quartz-like now. Well, maybe not quartz-like, but accurate to within a few seconds a day. I think that amount of variation is typical.

I thought of taking mine to a service center but some days I lose time and some days I gain it, I'm not sure what I would tell them to do. I'm also very active and the watch is always moving.

Do you wear it to bed? The position you leave it in on the nightstand can affect its accuracy; you might want to experiment with a few different positions. <insert own joke>

Do you wear it to bed? The position you leave it in on the nightstand can affect its accuracy; you might want to experiment with a few different positions. <insert own joke>

Funny you should say that because I don't use an alarm clock and when I need to get up at 0300 or 0400 I wear my watch to bed so I get up on time. I have a toddler so I don't want to wake her up when I need to get up early.
When I set it on the nightstand I set it face up. Neither of which seems to affect its accuracy.
I'm at the point where I'm thinking of selling this one on eBay. $200 is about my limit for a new one but I might just save up for a Marathon dive watch.

A few seconds a day ain't gonna hurt anything.

Fair enough, maybe its an OCD thing. My Wife thinks it's strange that on any given day I can tell you how many seconds fast or slow my watch is.

If I'm holding a business meeting at 0900 it starts at 0900. I do not punish those that are on time by making them wait for the laggards.

So back to my origional point, does anyone else have a Seiko automatic that keeps accurate time or should I replace it with something else or just sell it and buy a new one?

So back to my origional point, does anyone else have a Seiko automatic that keeps accurate time or should I replace it with something else or just sell it and buy a new one?

I have the same watch as my everyday beater. It runs fast most of the time but less so now that it is several years old. I cannot say that it runs fast and then slow as I am not that anal about perfect time. I have a cell phone in my pocket for perfect time, I just use my watch to glance at.

The (lower end) Seiko auto movement is not known for accuracy, if chronometer accuracy is what you need from a mechanical watch you need to move upscale or go with a quartz, battery do dad watch.

N

I have the seiko skxa35 and it always runs a little fast. I usually end up resetting it once every couple of weeks. A few months ago it flooded (my fault I didn't have the crown screwed down all the way) and I had to take it in to a jeweler. I asked him about it running fast and he said it is normal, most kinetic watches will do this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom