Selecting Backplate Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am 6'1" and I have the Large backplate. When I rig the harness with the waist belt essentially level, it comes around at 4 or 5" above my belly button. Nowhere near where I wear my pants belt. FWIW, I measure about 23" from the top of my pants belt to my shoulder.

So, I have let the waist belt sag down a little (well, actually, kind of a lot) and things seem to work out fine. As long as I don't look at the various Internet sites describing how to rig the harness everything seems to be ok.

Now I am looking to buy another rig for my son-in-law. I swear he's taller than me but he says he's just 6'1" (maybe I have shrunk with age?) but he has a 51" chest.

Should I consider the Long Pattern for this new rig?

Perhaps I should consider it for my rig as well? There's no real problem with having an extra Large plate laying around. My grandson will be using it in a couple of years...

Any thoughts on selecting Large versus Long Pattern other than the indicated height stated in the description?

A side issue might be the height of the top of the plate. I have been working in the direction of raising the plate in an attempt to get the inflator hose a little closer. Perhaps I am going about this in the wrong way.

Richard

I am 6'1" and I have the Large backplate. When I rig the harness with the waist belt essentially level, it comes around at 4 or 5" above my belly button. Nowhere near where I wear my pants belt. FWIW, I measure about 23" from the top of my pants belt to my shoulder.

The top of your jeans is NOT your waist. Your waist is just below your ribcage.

Now I am looking to buy another rig for my son-in-law. I swear he's taller than me but he says he's just 6'1" (maybe I have shrunk with age?) but he has a 51" chest.

Should I consider the Long Pattern for this new rig?

No, at 6'1" your son inlaw should use a Large Plate. The Long Pattern Plate is typically required for divers 6'4" and taller.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom