Self servicing gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen enough regulators come in the shop that were hacked up by folks who decided that self-service was the way to go to. :D

I have had a number of my regulators hacked up by those highly trained shop technicians. And based on the tails of other divers I know I am not alone. I service my own regulators now so I do not have to put up the marginally competent service from some of the local shops. Dive Rite is happy to sell me parts, and my local LDS is happy to sell parts for all the lines of regulators they sell. LDS's and manufactures that refuse to sell parts do not get any sales from me. So hopefully they will reconsider their business model.

Regulators are pretty simple, but there are a few things to know. As was mentioned before Vance Harlow's book from Airspeed Press is a good resource. BC's are even simpler really only a few parts to deal with. From what I have been told some of the manufacture's courses were so bad that people walked out. That does not sound like the fountainhead of magical knowledge that they are purported to be.

Self servicing will probably not save you either time or money but at least you can know the job was done right and safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom