Septoplasty and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GSODvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had septoplasty (Deviated Septum) on Monday, April 16th. I plan to dive at the end of May. Will this be a problem? Right now I have my packing out, but I'm still snottin' bloody boogers all over the place.

The best one to decide that would be your Dr. If he doesn't know, have him contact DAN. I had mine done along with cutting away some of the tissues in the back of my nasal cavity, several years before I started diving, but it took a couple of months for the swelling & all to subside completely. I will say though it is a decision I'll never regret. It really helped me out.

Hi GSODvr,

Given complete and normal healing with no complications, the diver can anticipate medical clearance to return to scuba at about 4 weeks post-septoplasty. If more extensive procedures are involved, such as rhinoplasty, or complications arise, the wait likely will be longer.

Your ENT is the person most competent to make the call.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such. Get clearance from your own ENT before embarking on scuba.

Hope this proves helpful.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Rejuvinated Thread:

I just had a combined septo/rhinoplasty yesterday. Huge swollen black eys right now. Even my eyelids are swollen. The Doc says about 4-6 weeks and I should be a full-up round. But I would like to hear from some divers whio have had the same procedures done about how long it took to be back in a mask and if you had any issues I should know about. Thanks in advance.

Rejuvinated Thread:

I just had a combined septo/rhinoplasty yesterday. Huge swollen black eys right now. Even my eyelids are swollen. The Doc says about 4-6 weeks and I should be a full-up round. But I would like to hear from some divers whio have had the same procedures done about how long it took to be back in a mask and if you had any issues I should know about. Thanks in advance.

Hi Tech,
Your ENT surgeon will be the one to tell you for sure, but if your surgery was uncomplicated, you should be ok to dive as soon as he/she says your recovery is complete. Personal experience: I've had two septoplasties, one while on active duty as a Navy diver, and did not have a problem with either. I was back diving as soon as the ENT gave his blessing. Be prepared for a really bizarre feeling when the packing comes out. Speedy recovery to you!
Best Regards,
DDM
p.s. Out of curiosity, what did the flight surgeon tell you about return to flight status?

Hi Tech,
Your ENT surgeon will be the one to tell you for sure, but if your surgery was uncomplicated, you should be ok to dive as soon as he/she says your recovery is complete. Personal experience: I've had two septoplasties, one while on active duty as a Navy diver, and did not have a problem with either. I was back diving as soon as the ENT gave his blessing. Be prepared for a really bizarre feeling when the packing comes out. Speedy recovery to you!
Best Regards,
DDM
p.s. Out of curiosity, what did the flight surgeon tell you about return to flight status?

What Duke said. I thought I was going to vomit and pass out at the same time when she was removing the packing. I have never had such pain. But I have not yet had any problems with diving. Just fear someone will hit my nose and cause the pain that I had with the surgery. It helped with the not having the infections. However, it was not a cure all for me. I still can only sleep on my right side. I still get the sinus headaches that last for days and weeks. But the infections are gone. I am glad that I did it, but I am not sure I would go through it again. Good luck to you!

i'll "me three" the feeling when they take the stents/packing etc out.

Those plastic props they put up in your nostrils are long as hell. But in the end after it was done it was the first time I was able to breathe through my nose in several years thanks to getting it broken multiple times in wrestling/boxing in highschool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom