Service techs: what rental gear tends to hold up the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnNumberz

Registered
Reaction score
Curious for those that work on regs day in and day out: how do the different brands of regs hold up compared to each other in the rental world? For those of us buying (or considering) used from rental fleets is there any to avoid vs must buy?

TIA

The MK2 for sure, not sure about the 2nd stage, a simple 'they can't play with' 2nd stage , I used the R190 for rentals.
Beat me to it in the above post.

Mk2’s generally come with R190’s stock so that’s why I figured that second stage
OK, thanks, I have not bought one for some time.
Still have a MK2 DIN for my pony cylinder setup [with a S600] sold all the other Mk2 and R190 I had.
A better rental regulator for recreational diving is hard to find, a trained ape could service it, no offence to ape service techs.:yeahbaby:

The R190 is long gone and replaced by the R195. Improved over the R190 in some fashion as the G270 is alleged to be improved over the G250. The Mk 2 Evo also comes with the S270. The S270 is a smaller second stage than the full size R195, for what that might matter.

The R190 and R195 are excellent second stage regulators, just they lived/live in the shadow of the legendary (balanced and adjustable) G250 now G260.

I would say the Mk 2 Evo with the R195 is the solid choice for a rental fleet. The R195 is not balanced or adjustable so therefore very simple and the Mk 2 Evo is legend and iconic to use that word three times tonight.

Long gone but as second stages go the AL/USD 1085 is the most reliable but NLA.

Not involve with any dive operation.
I have seen several operators using Apeks US4 + AT20 in Philippines and Thailand.

Hi, We use Mares R2S first stages with Rover 2nd stages at our dive shop. Hard-wearing, easy to service and reliable. I would definitely buy an ex-rental.

Scubapro's MK2 is also a 'bombproof' first stage, although sometimes it can be difficult to find people to service them.

The R195 is no more. Now there is the very new R105.

My recommendations based on experience in the following order:

1. Mk17/c370 (the mk17 is only available in EMEA region).

https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.co...rs/systems/mk17-evoc370-dive-regulator-system

2. Used for rental frequently with excellent performance, the mk11/c370:

3. The new work horse: The mk11/s270

4. MK2/s270, better second stage:

5. MK2/r105, very new:

I recommend one of the first two choices above.

The S270 from Scubapro looks like a good match with the Mk2 EVO .
Had to look it up as I know nothing about it.
To quote the blurb:

"The Scubapro S270 second stage is perfect for divers in any conditions. It has an air balanced valve, ensuring that breathing is effortless even at depth or with reduced tank pressure.

This lightweight regulator is compact making it perfect for travelling with, yet incredibly durable and reliable. Adjustments to previous designs from Scubapro include a larger bore in hose to allow easier air flow, technopolymer internal pipe which prevents settlement of ice crystals and efficient exhalation tee to ensure smoothers exhalation.

This design is sleek is stylish with large purge button and easily adjustable dive/predive button. "

Edit: The S270 is $10 AU cheaper than the R195, which I can still buy here, which was a surprise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom