Servicing your own gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do the service on my own regulators because I prefer to trust in my own work than in someone else.

I am supposedly trained and familar with a variety of software I use sparingly at work. The truth of the matter is that I don't use it often enough to remember all the little details so everytime I open (e.g.) ArcMap its like a new day. Regs are the same way. Despite having 12 of them I doubt I would keep up on them like the guy I send them to does. Last year I had a warped 2nd stage body, I knew something was wrong as the LP seat wouldn't stay adjusted in the inlet tube. Sending it out fixed it right the first time whereas I probably would have thrown up my hands and decided it was cursed.

Scuba Tools for generic tools.

Shop around for stuff like IP gauges. Home Depot/Lowes is great for some generic stuff, too.

With all due respect to Steve, the DEMA seminars aren't worth the time. I sat through a couple last year for the certs but didn't learn a thing. If you have the service manual you will get the same thing out of it. That's all the guy did was read the manual. In the old days, it might have been different, not now...

I service all my gear now even got a cert. to do my own VIP's. Not just for the money savings but making sure it is done right. There is a shop in my area that was not even cleaning the valves on my tanks. Also having these skills has saved a few dive's that would have been really expensive boat rides otherwise.

Thanks for the replies and links. I'm going to start putting together some tools soon. Dale I sent ya a message, I really appreciate the offer.

Thanks for the replies and links. I'm going to start putting together some tools soon. Dale I sent ya a message, I really appreciate the offer.

I recently got the approval (certification) to teach a regulator repair class through MDEA. I will be scheduling a class soon. I'll let you know as soon as I have it tied down.

I am supposedly trained and familar with a variety of software I use sparingly at work. The truth of the matter is that I don't use it often enough to remember all the little details so everytime I open (e.g.) ArcMap its like a new day. Regs are the same way. Despite having 12 of them I doubt I would keep up on them like the guy I send them to does. Last year I had a warped 2nd stage body, I knew something was wrong as the LP seat wouldn't stay adjusted in the inlet tube. Sending it out fixed it right the first time whereas I probably would have thrown up my hands and decided it was cursed.

Even if someone decides not to do them yourself because I think it's good basic knowledge for tech divers to have. Knowing how something works, or is supposed to work makes it easier to spot and diagnose problems while they're still simple and maybe give you the opportunity for a quick field repair and save the dive.

I'm not quite at 50 (but I am in the 40-something range, 34 of which get used on a fairly regular basis) and all of mine are in Florida. I started servicing my regs when I couldn't find a competent service tech in Tucson. I continue to service them because it's a lot cheaper to service all those regs myself. I also spread it out enough so I'm servicing regs every couple months. If I serviced them all at the same time of year, I'd go crazy and There would be a big learning curve with the first few regs as I worked on relearning it.

I used to do mine but for the last few years my buddy has been doing them. He works part time at the LDS as a reg tech, he's had the training, he's better at it than I am and he does 150 odd regs a year as opposed to my 4 or 5. Also, I figure since my regs are also *his* fallback, he'll be motivated to not just bang it off... LOL :wink:

The nice part for me is because I give lessons at the LDS I only pay for the parts kits.

Even if someone decides not to do them yourself because I think it's good basic knowledge for tech divers to have. Knowing how something works, or is supposed to work makes it easier to spot and diagnose problems while they're still simple and maybe give you the opportunity for a quick field repair and save the dive.

Oh I agree knowing how things work is pretty important. The only field failures I have seen lately have been with some Mares diaphram regs (not mine) and I suspect both failures trace back to the shop that sold/worked on them.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom