Servicing your own regulator.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody know where I can get Mares rebuild kits? I've taken the class and want to rebuild my reg sets. Problem is, the lds (with whom I took the class) will not sell rebuild kits to me since I am not "factory trained".:rofl3:

Talk to Scubatoys and please tell us what they say. When they first started tjhey offered to sell kits for any regs they sold.

Also, did your LDS charge you for the class?

No joy at Scubatoy! Any other places?

AWAP the LDS charged $60 for a 2hr reg tech class.

That is too bad. It looks like Scubatoys is going the way of so many other unsatisfying shops.

I'd probably have to have some fun getting the shop the explain why they would offer such a course if they then force you to find some other LDS to do business with to get parts. I'd figure they owed me $60 worth of something useful since their course is mostly useless.

I am going to take the PADI equiptment specialty course next week and I am very interested in understanding and working on my Sherwood Oasis regulator. (Since the secondary free flowed on our 3rd dive and I rented the rest of the trip).
I did not see any Sherwood specific tools on the scubatools web site and the Dive House in Cozumel would not work on it.
Is this a propreitary or brand specific thing?

I am going to take the PADI equiptment specialty course next week and I am very interested in understanding and working on my Sherwood Oasis regulator.

Falcon,

If that is your goal for the class do talk to your instructor and see if it is covered. Generally it is not covered for reasons already discussed in this thread. But it will all depend on the instructor.

A.

Anybody know where I can get Mares rebuild kits? I've taken the class and want to rebuild my reg sets. Problem is, the lds (with whom I took the class) will not sell rebuild kits to me since I am not "factory trained".:rofl3:

If you are willing to substitute parts, the Mares line is a direct decendent of the UDS/AL regulators and all the parts will fit. The Orings can be gotten a lot of places, they are all common Orings. The HP seat and diaphram of most USD/AL regs are compatable with Mares and will work fine if you can find a source for them. And you can always use aftermarket HP and LP seats and diahragms from Trident dealer. Any Trident dealer can order them, if you need one, PM me, I know one who I am sure will order the Trident parts for you.

I am going to take the PADI equiptment specialty course next week and I am very interested in understanding and working on my Sherwood Oasis regulator. (Since the secondary free flowed on our 3rd dive and I rented the rest of the trip).
I did not see any Sherwood specific tools on the scubatools web site and the Dive House in Cozumel would not work on it.

Is this a propreitary or brand specific thing?

The PADI or any other agency equipment course will not give you much information. IMO, save your money and buy these 2 books, "Regulator Savvy" and "SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR" if you really want to understand how your reg works. They will teach you more about regs than most other courses.
Sherwoods (except the SR-1) are about the easiest regs to work on. I do not recall any special tool you must have with the exception of a IP gauge, which every diver should have anyway. There are a few that make life easier but none that are required to go a good job.

Most shops will not touch a reg they do not sell.

Last edited:
No joy at Scubatoy! Any other places?

AWAP the LDS charged $60 for a 2hr reg tech class.

:( Bad news indeed.

MyScubaShop items - Get great deals on New Dacor Scuba Diving Regulator Service Kits items on eBay Stores!

Try the above. This is far from a "secret" seller, so I'm not concerned about "outting" them.

When my original "source" (an online LDS) dried up, I've used the above as a source. The prices are a bit higher, but still within "reason" and cheaper than typical labor costs at most LDS.

Also, the advice Herman gives above is great. I was able to find Aqualung Titan 1st stage rebuild kits cheaper than the Mares kits, so I bought them for my "next" Mares rebuild marathon (I own 6 sets of Mares regs).

Best wishes.

:( Bad news indeed.

MyScubaShop items - Get great deals on New Dacor Scuba Diving Regulator Service Kits items on eBay Stores!

Try the above. This is far from a "secret" seller, so I'm not concerned about "outting" them.

When my original "source" (an online LDS) dried up, I've used the above as a source. The prices are a bit higher, but still within "reason" and cheaper than typical labor costs at most LDS.

Also, the advice Herman gives above is great. I was able to find Aqualung Titan 1st stage rebuild kits cheaper than the Mares kits, so I bought them for my "next" Mares rebuild marathon (I own 6 sets of Mares regs).

Best wishes.

If you are rebuilding MR-12s you need to see me for a HP tool if you don't already have one, it will save you a lot of foul language. :)

The equipment maintenance course of every agency will not teach you how to actually do a reg rebuild or annual service. I don't teach it in mine. What you will get is info on how to do MINOR repairs and good regular maintenance. It can be a valuable course or a complete waste of time depending on the instructor. You will not be qualified to redo a reg, vis a tank, etc.

Back
Top Bottom