Setpoint during fast decent, what do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do also wonder if both the setpoint and ppo2 of dil is effected by mccr, hccr vs eccr.

The PPO2 for 21% at 60m = pressure (7ATA) x mix (0.21) = 1.47 way way too hot for a rebreather (and too hot even for OC where 21% has a mod of 57m/190ft).
Not for me. OC I go up to 1.6 as long as we are not talking about cave diving and/or long dives. If my small wreck is at 66m I will not dive every minute at 66m and I will not be there for a long time. 1.6pO2 for a short time at target depth is totaly OK for me. It is OK on 6m deco as well. And the hotter mix (21% at 66m) reduces deco time at any depth. But that's the way I do it, everbody is free to choose any other mix.

the usual argument is faster recovery of a high ppO2 spike since it will crash the ppO2 faster. Ironically the Meg has O2 addition in the inhale counterlung to counteract really low ppO2's so it's all about your personal priorities. Hell when I dil flush on some dives it brings my ppO2 up since on my Meg I run a 1.1 because of the HUD but it will still bring a 1.6+ ppO2 down quite quickly. You get to choose your priorities
Very well explained, thank you.
A low pO2 does not come quickly. A high pO2 may come very quick, solenoid stuck open. But what is high? 1.6 is not high, at least not high=dangerous. 2.0 is high but you have very good chances to survive. I guess a dil flush by 1.3 or by 1.1 brings 2.0 down quite fast. Never tried but I guess.

Yes, choose your priorities.....

I sometimes hear so. 20 years ago instructor said: if you dive pO2=1.3 then MOD of Dil should be about target depth at 1.3.

It seems this has changed. I was told it should be less than 1.1 for a better dil flush. I must admit I do not understand this. If I do a dil flush (at any depth) I must know what is the expected, resulting pO2. If Dil flush produces this pO2, sensors are fine. So why should MOD be less then 1.1? I am sure there is a reason but which one?
My teaching was for the diluent PPO2 of 1.1. Am happy with that.

The maximum PPO2s have dropped a lot over the years. Same with the WOB (work of breathing) of gases. More helium = lower WOB.

If you do the math (which I won't go into here, but it's much as @Wibble outlined), the rate of change of PO2 during descent is remarkably simple and intuitive. The PO2 rate is dependent on the descent rate (Rate_atm in atm/min), the diluent O2 fraction (Fd), and ratio of metabolism to loop volume (M):

Rate_PO2 = Fd * Rate_atm + (Fd - 1) * M

Note the two opposing factors of descent rate (positive term) and metabolism (the term involving M is negative), each scaled by a dil-dependent term. Simply beautiful. As @tbone1004 said, it's all about a balance.

For example, for Wibble's 1.5 L/min O2 metabolism and 5 L loop (M = 0.3), using 15/55 for dil (Fd = 0.15), taking 3 minutes to hit 60 m (Rate_atm = 2 atm/min), and starting at PO2=0.7. We would expect the PO2 to change by +0.045 atm/min. After 3 minutes, we arrive at the bottom with a PO2 of 0.84. (Wibble, this differs from your final result because you neglected to refill the loop after metabolism.)

At that 100 fpm (3 atm/min) rate some of you use, you would arrive with a PO2 of 1.1. (Faster descent means less time to metabolize.)

I have no idea why the OP is bumping up the ppO2 shallow then adding a crazy hot dil with such a low fraction of helium. Then ending up with a ppO2 in the 1.4 to 1.5 range at depth. This whole approach to diving CCR is like trying to do a 1990s era best mix dive, but the wreck is just a wee bit deeper than you thought. It's 2023, there are better ways to approach this and calculating your "exact" planned arrive ppO2 on the bottom isnt part of that.

I have no idea why the OP is bumping up the ppO2 shallow
I find it great to have the swicht done as soon as possible, I can not forget it later on. And calculations here tell me, pO2 will not be to high (for me) at target depth.

then adding a crazy hot dil with such a low fraction of helium.
21 is not a crazy hot dil for 60m.
35 ist not a low fraction of he. END is perfectly OK. I even dive 60m on air, OC and CCR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom