Setting up a Boston Whaler Montauk for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug-
How's the boat working out? Any new add-ons? I took delivery of my 170 last Thursday and I'm heading out this weekend for the opening of spear fishing for lingcod. Can't wait!

UNK PUG
Great boat!! I can't wait to get to work tomorrow to check out all of them. Glad to see a person who knows that a WHALER is the best boat made.
This is coming from a Rhode Islander

Thanks, It is a great boat. Today was a bust as far as the dive went... missed hooking the wreck and the viz was horrible... but the ride out and back was tons of fun in the sun ~ two divers, gear, extra tanks and we got up to 43 mph (down hill.)
:D :D

lhpdiver:
Nice boat. So that's what a nice clean whaler looks like ! I have a 1990 25' Outrage. Had it about 6 years (new twin 225's in 2001). When we were fishing I used to think it sat too close to the water - but for diving it sure makes it easier to get back in.

Our dive ladder just hooks over the gunwale. I tie it off every dive and its a good thing because its been in the water after some dives. The thing I miss most is a windlass. When its choppy it can sometimes be a challenge to get the anchor back in the boat.

We call our boat Willie. Good luck with yours !

Oh and by the way, the Boston Whaler people are really nice. On more than one occasion they've sent us stuff we've needed (little stuff) and I think its always been free.

This may be old news for ya......I charter fished boats for years, doing a lot of anchoring and rig hooking, etc. I got completely away from using windlasses. Mainly because it was too slow, Started using an anchor float and just floated them up and then pulled them into the boat. Anchor float looks lot like a ball fender. Has a stainless slide ring that goes over the anchor line. Put the float on the anchor line, power the boat in a slow semi circle around the set anchor and the anchor slides up along the line to the surface floating under the device. Pull the line in and remove the anchor. No lifting or pulling involved. Used this technique on boats up to 50'.

Regards,

Uncle Pug:
Donning tanks at the bow can be done but I find it easier using the seat, and that will be especially true when we dive our double 104s. The seat cushion unsnaps in the back and folds forward and my wife made a cover for the seat back to protect it from our gear.

Donning this way last weekend was a snap. We exit the boat by stepping off the gunnel between the aft and forward rails. You can't really call it a giant stride since we are so close to the water.

Pug..

Real nice work. Looks really squared away. Sorry the post is so late. Looks like it is working out well for you.

I'd dive with you, sometime, but I don't dive with older divers.

Regards,

Thanks for the kind comments... yes the Whaler is working out well... even with two divers and two non-diving riders we can do 40 mph (though ~35 seems more prudent most days.)

I think we could handle 4 divers going 2 at a time but it would be a little crowded.

Uncle Pug the boat can handle 8 divers plus a driver with ease... and as soon as it gets done geoducking maybe we can get a bunch of older divers together for a splash.

Cudabait:
This may be old news for ya......I charter fished boats for years, doing a lot of anchoring and rig hooking, etc. I got completely away from using windlasses. Mainly because it was too slow, Started using an anchor float and just floated them up and then pulled them into the boat. Anchor float looks lot like a ball fender. Has a stainless slide ring that goes over the anchor line. Put the float on the anchor line, power the boat in a slow semi circle around the set anchor and the anchor slides up along the line to the surface floating under the device. Pull the line in and remove the anchor. No lifting or pulling involved. Used this technique on boats up to 50'.

Regards,

Funny - I 'm in class (SeaSchool) for my SixPack and was talking to a guy last night who says he's used the float to 80 feet. Guess I'll have to give it another shot. My biggest concern was bending the bow railing. I have a small tee cleat-like thing at the bow and the railing comes into the gunwale about 2 feet back on each side. I was worried that the strain might bend the railing.

Back
Top Bottom