Several questions concerning Atomic masks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaizeNBlue88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a new diver looking to get my gear and looked at various masks from different manufacturers. Well I've narrowed it down, and I'm 100% certain I want one of the Atomic masks. Now my predicament is "which one do I get?".So to help with my decision, I just have a few questions. Oh and also, I have yet to try the Venom or Frameless 2.

Is the only difference between the Frameless and Frameless 2 the new skirt design?

Is the Schott Superwite glass used in the Venom mask really THAT much clearer than the Ultraclear in the Frameless and Subframe?

Is the only difference between the Frameless and Subframe the stainless steel subframe and the fact that the Frameless is, well, frameless? Oh and the whole thing about corrective lenses, but that's unnecessary in my case.

I've been told by several people that the new skirt design on the Frameless 2 and Venom has had a LOT of issues with tearing/leaking/falling apart. How true is this? It would seem to me that the softer material would have a tendency to be less durable. So it does make sense.

Is the field of view better on the frameless or the subframe? And what about the Venom?

Does the ARC lens coating really make much of a difference?

Like I stated, I'm a new diver looking to get a mask. I'm not worried about cost so much as I am the durability, clarity, and value. If the Venom are worth $200 then I'm more than happy to spend it. But if the Frameless will serve me just as well for almost $100 less, well then it only makes sense to get the Frameless. I just need a solid reason to spend the extra money; rather than "Well the Venom is 'slightly' clearer, and a 'little' more comfortable, etc." Please be completely honest. If you've owned both the Venom and Frameless and think well it's really not worth the extra $100, then tell me. Any input is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Let me start off by saying, My Son, Daughter and Myself all dive with Atomic Regulators and Fins, Splits for my and the daughter, Blades for the Son. I also have a Cobalt 2. I say this so you know I love my Atomic Gear.

Now, when it comes to Masks, you Have to get what Works. My Daughter took Every Single Mask in the Dive Shop into their Pool. Every Single one of them (about 5 Brands and around 15+ masks) leaked. The Shop was out of Atomic Frameless at the time. But she did try Venom and the SubFrame. The subframe pressed on the bridge of her nose in the pool. They did a Special order and had a Frameless come in about 3 days later. The Frameless ended up working Perfectly. My daughter will swear by the Frameless

Now I dive with the Subframe, like my daughter it was the Only mask that does not leak on my face. The Arc Frame was not out when I bought my Subframe, but I have used one on a dive in Key largo. If I had the choice I would have gotten the Arc.

Now my Son the subframe does not leak, however once he hit 60 feet and deeper, the mask presses on the bridge of his nose and becomes painful and left a bruise. He ended up getting a $30 Tusa mask, as it was the best fit for him. The Tusa and seen 120 feet and 60 dives in 2 years. So far so good.

As for the Venom, It leaked on my face in the pool, So it never went any further.

Do I prefer a Full Lens, YES. My old Hollis was very nice. But for today, the SubFrame Fits me best.

The Money if only Worth it if the Mask Fits and works. It can be a $30 mask or a $200. But I do like the Lens on the Arc and think it is worth it.

I own a frameless and an ARC Venom...between the two, the frameless is the better mask because of its simpler, lower-volume design (easier to clear). The glass difference is irrelevant unless you get the ARC coated lens, and even then I don't really notice much of a difference. Overall, I think the Venom's poor design outweighs any advantage of the slightly better lens. Another problem is that, for me, the Venom doesn't fit nearly as well...it's now a $250 backup mask that lives in my dive shorts pocket, just in case I lose my frameless on a dive and need to see.

If the frameless fits, get it and be happy and get on with life. However, the most important thing is fit because you don't want to have to be clearing it more often than necessary. So no matter how much you want to love a mask, drop it without hesitation if it doesn't seal well.

This morning I tried out both the Frameless and Subframe and in terms of fit, they worked equally well. My main concern was more so with the Venom. I wanted to know what you guys thought of it's fit, comfort, and design. Yes I do realize it'll fit differently on different people but I wanted to get a comparison before I went and had the dive shop order one. They don't normally carry it because they think it's crap and will only order it if someone specifically requests it.

The glass difference is irrelevant unless you get the ARC coated lens, and even then I don't really notice much of a difference. Overall, I think the Venom's poor design outweighs any advantage of the slightly better lens.

The guys down at the dive shop said the same thing; that for the difference in price, it's really not worth it. I was really curious about the ARC lenses too. Do they really help? Or is it more of just an advantage if you're diving in certain conditions, i.e. at night or in murky water?

In the dark and/or bad viz, nothing is going to make a notable difference. Can I tell that the ARC lens lets in a bit more light on a shallow, sunny reef than the frameless? Yes - usually because I'm swapping to the frameless mid-dive after really wanting the Venom to work but finding it leaky as Hell, and the transition highlights the slight difference in how things look through the two masks. Otherwise, no real difference. If the Venom fits you perfectly, get it, otherwise don't.

If you like the subframe equally well to the frameless, I think there's an ARC subframe. So you can perhaps avoid feeling like you're missing out.

I attended the BTS Show in Secaucus last weekend and tried on the new Frameless 2 on display. More comfortable then the Venom. Hopefully AA will have an ARC version as their top of the line. BTW Doctor, Venoms have had leakage issues with their skirts.

In the dark and/or bad viz, nothing is going to make a notable difference. Can I tell that the ARC lens lets in a bit more light on a shallow, sunny reef than the frameless? Yes - usually because I'm swapping to the frameless mid-dive after really wanting the Venom to work but finding it leaky as Hell, and the transition highlights the slight difference in how things look through the two masks. Otherwise, no real difference. If the Venom fits you perfectly, get it, otherwise don't.

If you like the subframe equally well to the frameless, I think there's an ARC subframe. So you can perhaps avoid feeling like you're missing out.

I used a venom in my first pool sessions for OW. it leaked a lot which made me a pro at clearing it. But that night my area just above my nose hurt like hell. And continued to hurt for 4 days. I am thinking the frameless 2 is what I need and hopefully before my final OW dives my lds will have a frameless 2 to rent. And hopefully a large.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom