Sewage spill yuk....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pipedope:
... I don't like the idea of leaving $4000 hat behind. On top of that most of the time the water is so hot that you will overheat without a cold water shroud over the dry suit...
Don't worry, you get to bill them for the hat. Sometimes you even get to come back & use it again.
Hopefully you don't wind up getting stuck with another company's piece of junk. It's always a good idea to carry a set of new exhaust valves along just for that purpose. (some nuke plants are catching on its a good way to get rid of a beater hat & have them buy you a new one.)
Hot work is limited to under 100º. Cooling varies from a passive vest w/cold packs to primitive (coveralls w/garden hose running in) to fancy, a regular cooling system complete w/suit penetrators, a vest/suit w/cooling coils on it, & a big ice chest w/little circulating pump.
You still pour a couple quarts of sweat outta your boots when you're done though. :wink:
Most companies don't pay a premium for that kind of diving though, or for other contaminated diving unless penetration is involved. :11:

I like to stay out of Hot (radioactive) water. I learned enough about nuclear power in the Navy to know the risks and have seen enough of power companies to not want to play with it in the civilian world

I have done lots of dives in hot water. Retention ponds in FL are often hot tub temperature and will overheat a diver who is at rest. Nobody pays me to rest in the water so I also have to get the work done.
Garden hose into the wet suit is common if there is a coll water source available. Otherwise I use cold packs and hope I don't run out before the job is done.

I still like the pipes better, the temp is much more comfortable no matter what the outside weather is doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom