Sewing D rings onto Jacket BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tardigrade

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone ever sew onto their BC?

I want to add some SS D rings on my shoulders. No no no, the sewing won't be on or within a good 5 inches of the bladder.

The BC I want to modify is an old Fathom SL III. It's a poodle jacket style BC, with quick release clips on the shoulders. The rings won't fit on the nylon strap above the quick release. I'll need to sew it on the fabric that has been heatsealed together above the bladder. The bladder itself starts at about my shoulderblades, and runs down the back.

Here's my plan. . . I thought I'd fold a 4 inch nylon strap, around the flat end of a D ring (in half- like a taco). I'd sew it onto the shoulder, D ring towards the clip. I'll leave space between the D ring and the quick release. Wide stitches, with a pattern to look loke a box with an X inside it.

Attachments

• 005785_big.jpg
    005785_big.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 164
Nope, never...

I dive a BP&W, so I can add d-rings wherever I like, adjust them instantly, wherever I like... remove them, whenever I like.

just saying... :wink:

Nope, never...

I dive a BP&W, so I can add d-rings wherever I like, adjust them instantly, wherever I like... remove them, whenever I like.

just saying... :wink:
Sadly, any large outlays of cash must wait.

This fall sees 2 of our kids in college.

If you want to sew them on use a short length of soft webbing to form an attachment loop. Wrap it so both of the cut ends are tucked in and concealed, singe them first . Use nylon (upholstery/carpet) thread in a box & X pattern like they do on seat belts.

Sadly, any large outlays of cash must wait.

This fall sees 2 of our kids in college.

Grants and scholarships can free up enough cash for a new BPW! And making them get jobs and work their way thru school could get you all kinds of cool gear! Community college is also cheaper. My son took the best route - enlisted in the Air Force and they are paying for his education and he's getting a nice check at the same time with housing allowance. There's a few small detours to Afghanistan in there but hey, you do what you have to. Instead of visiting colleges visit a recruiter!

I think mandatory service for all able bodied kids would not only be great for the country but for the dive industry as well. Would free up lots of cash for parents to spend on training, gear, and local diving as well as trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom