sex in the sand sucks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by sommer71
sex in the sand sucks!

If it sucks you're doing it wrong! :wink:

Sorry got no info on Thailand, it seems that Starfish has given sufficient details.

Although, I like the idea of pick-up-and-go I would at least check the place out, and see if you like it. The place might be cool, but the culture may not suit you! Or vice versa. You're making a big decision and taking a BIG step...

Things like work permit, being allowed to stay there, the law (dunno how it is in Thai, but in the region they got some strict laws). Medical facilities? Source of income? Many choices and options, many decisions.

I can say this. I moved from Switzerland to Grenada. I had only been here once for 2 weeks, 3 months later I was living in a wooden shack with an outside toilet! Things have changes since and I run a family business which does quite well. Yet, when I got there with my mom, we had 3 suitcases, not much cash in the bank, and did not own our own roof, so it was a big risk!

Either way, whichever you choose. I wish you luck in you're adventures, and wish you all the best. Keep us up to date!

Take care

will have to agree with a previous post... your doing it wrong...

now back to your question...

I was told by a good friend that you want to do your DM AI and IDC in simular locations that you will be wanting to teach..
Diving in worldwide locations and making trips are a great idea but ask yourself what kind of teacher/instructor do you want to be? how will YOUR experience with your dives help you help others?

take care

I hear Thailand is a beautiful place and its supposed to be relatively inexpensive... BUT thats for an American on an American's salary. Everything is relative. How much is it gonna cost you to set up down there and run an operation? You should look into how much DMs charge down there for trips. That's how much you can make and it will help you get a feel for how much you can afford in living expenses. Unless you have a lot already saved up, where a little bit can probably go a long way, you're gonna need to operate on their economy and although the tourist business can hike prices b/c of who their clients are you should keep that in mind. I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide. I envy your adventurous spirit.

PS. whats with all the naughty (catchy) titles lately? first blow jobs, now sex on the beach.. oh never mind they're not naughty...they're just girly mixed drinks :wink:

In the Dive industry up in the GWN we have a saying

"If you want to have a million bucks in the dive industry
Start with 2 million"

I do it because I love it! I'll never get rich in cash, but I'm rich in experiences.... my advice "carpe diem" seize the day

You only get one life to live, if you screw it up you don't get a 2nd try. don't be sitting on the porch when your 70 years old thinking
"I wish I had..."

Originally posted by divedude
In the Dive industry up in the GWN we have a saying

"If you want to have a million bucks in the dive industry
Start with 2 million"

I do it because I love it! I'll never get rich in cash, but I'm rich in experiences.... my advice "carpe diem" seize the day

You only get one life to live, if you screw it up you don't get a 2nd try. don't be sitting on the porch when your 70 years old thinking
"I wish I had..."

That is what i am afraid of(sitting wondering-what if?)

I am not looking to make a million, just enough to get me past the day + a little, to maybe move on after a year or so!

I will seize the day, but i would like to do it without going hungry :):mean:

Originally posted by Zept
What made you settle on Koh Tao? Have you been there before?

Z
:mean: I have spent a week on Koh Tao, and its a great place, nice atmosphere, people+allmost only divers!
The island is just to beuatyfull!!

Originally posted by Zept
What made you settle on Koh Tao? Have you been there before?

Z
:mean: I have spent a week on Koh Tao, and its a great place, nice atmosphere, people+allmost only divers!
The island is just to beuatyfull!!

Originally posted by JustAddWater
....oh, and don't drink meekong (a type of Thai whiskey) with the Thai military.
=-) Sounds like you have a hair rising experience to go with that remark???:boom:

Hi,
I am new to this board, but I just returned from 6 weeks in Thailand in which I earned my PADI OWD Certification. I go to Thailand quite often (about 3-4 Times a year), speak Thai, and live part time in Bangkok.

Having had the opportunity to talk to some of the dive instructors there, the diving industry is quite seasonal, even though the water is warm all year. It seems that during certain parts of the year, the monsoon weather and water conditions do not permit diving because of current, safety, or visibility concerns. There are distinct "high" seasons and "low" seasons and it can be very crowed or totally devoid of people. You may find the Globetrotter series book "Dive Guide Thailand" by Paul Lees (Asia Books Co. Ltd) helpful as it details all the dive sites in Thailand, the facilities, the dive companies, and other useful contact information.

Koh Tao is north of the Popular Tourist destination Koh Samui. Its relatively small and undeveloped...I don't there is even a bank on the island. As to the cost of living, its cheap to live in Thailand and the wages reflect that fact. Instructors come from all over the world, but many come from Australia and the UK. Many come and many go, so the turnover rate is very high. It is quite a cultural and environmental leap for many, and the "job" of diving gets old very quickly as the mundane chores and dives pile up.

Lastly, odds are that you will love Thailand...like most of us that have been bitten by that tropical bug....but for most, it can be someplace where you can lose track of reality and have culture shock when you return each time.

Good luck and good diving.

TinyBubbles

Sex on the beach sucks?
:whoa:
Are you sure?
Flabergasted!
:nosmilie:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom