Shadow on bottom half of image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I love to take pictures and have bought a nice housing for my Olympus SP-560UZ, The housing is also an Olympus PT-037. I have an Olympus UFL-1 Flash mounted to the top of the housing on a short shaft which seemed the preferred option for this housing. My problem is that some of my pictures are getting what I assume is a shadow on the bottom of my pictures, I think from the housing, probably when I angle the flash down to much, but I'm not absolutley sure. Can anyone help me diagnose this problem and suggest what I can do to keep it from continuing. I will try to insert a picture to help you see what I'm talking about:

Attachments

• P3290311.jpg
    P3290311.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 84
It has been suggested that it may be due to the fact that my flash is above the camera, and that I need to get my flash on a tray and arm mount and off to the side. Is this the case?

How is the strobe activated? Optical sync? cable? Other?

Some sort of tray and arm is usually the best choice, you're housing is getting in the way of the light...

Z...

Positively something blocking the strobe light in that lower portion of the image ...

The strobe is TTL activated which I believe means it sees the cameras flash and triggers off of it. The strobe is mounted on the top of the camera. If a tray and arm is the preffered choice, any particular manufacturer suggestion?

I had the this same configuration, Olympus SP-560UZ with the PT-37 housing, but with an Ikelite strobe mounted on an arm, and experienced the same problem. I did not use the diffuser that comes with the housing which sits on top of the large window, which is required because of the ultra zoom. As a result, the internal flash of the camera cast a shadow because the housing is blocking some of the light (as some of the others suggested). You may try using the diffuser, if you are not currently doing so and this may eliminate the problem.

I took a lesson at Cathy Church's in Grand Cayman, and the instructor used black electrical tape on the inside of the camera to prevent the light from internal flash from illuminating the subject (she knew right away what the problem was). Using the diffuser might take care of the problem (that may be why they designed it in the first place). I never used it as I thought the housing was too bulky without the diffuser.

The electrical tape worked wonders. If I could figure out how to post an image, I would show you some before and after photos.

Hope this helps!!

Wow. Nice pictures, and great solution! Scubagirl, Do you use the Olympus flash with you PT037? Just curious if your using the TTL or a different strobe synch?

Oops, missed your first post with the explanations, looks like we have a fix. Can't wait to get out and try again. Only problem is I flooded my housing on the last trip. Killed my camera. Ouch! Looked down at 25 feet and saw bubbles coming out of housing, not good I thought, The camera flickered on and off twice and that was all she wrote. Oredered a new camera, while I wait for insurance claim to go through. Can't be without a camera....... Thanks again Scubagirl

Scubagirl, Can you send a picture of your housing witht he tape. I'm curious to see how you placed the tape so your strobe still picks up the internal flash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom