Shadowing of macro shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While coming back from doing a little macro shooting in Little Cayman today, I was thinking of something almost exactly like this. Very glad to see someone's already given it a try!

A few questions...
- What are you using for the power pack?
- You're using this as a continuous light, rather than a strobe, right? Do you have an on/off switch? Do you use any other strobe?
- Have you tried the experiment of turning off (or covering) half the LED's yet, to get more contrast / shadows?
- Have you had any trouble with the light so close to the lens illuminating particles in the water? Or does the fact that you're using this in a macro mode with so little space between the light and the subject tend to minimize that? Do you think a bigger or smaller ring would work?

-I use a 7.4 volt 10amp hour Li Ion pack.

-It is a continuous light with a 4 position switch. Off, Top LEDS on, bottom LEDs on, all LEDs on.

-No need to cover LEDs when you can turn them off :wink:

- I though I would have a problem with back scatter, but the last pic I posted was probably the worst in this regard. Check the video too.

- Can use a smaller ring due to the size of the lens tube on the housing. A bigger one would be too cumbersome.

This is now FOR SALE as I would like to make something brighter again.
PM me for details. I will sell with or with out cannister but I cant ship the battery pack internationally. Dont expect to get it cheap though. Alot of time effort and development went into this.

It is designed for a G10 but should work with a G7 or G9 as well as other cameras whos lens tube is 100mm or less.

Did a couple of dives over the weekend and shot a few frames. Im pretty pleased with them.

034JasonMsm.jpg
075Firebrickstarsm.jpg

098JasonMsm.jpg
Apricot.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom