Shaker Plant Report 11-19-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dove the shaker plant last night with several others from aboard the Giant Stride of Lake Travis Scuba.

Visibility was not very good but did open up a bit below 80'.

Max depth 112' 72 min, 68f

Came across two of the concrete monolith like structures at the 100' level that were used as towers supporting a aerial tramway to move gravel from the shaker plant during construction of Mansfield Dam in the late 30's and completed in 1941. There were many large steel plates (4'X8') or larger scattered about all over the place as well as a bunch of large bolts and pipes. In some areas, I encountered the finest silt I've ever seen in lake Travis, which when disturbed, hangs like smoke suspended in the water columns, reducing visibility to less than 12 inches. :shakehead: In other areas there was larger sized gravel resulting in better vis, up to 8 feet.

Another diver reported finding several of the monoliths in shallower depths less than 55' and I suspect there is more to find below 100 based on previous shaker plant data. With the lake currently down 25' now is a great time to explore this historic spot on the bottom of Lake Travis :wink:

Safe diving

Ah, Jason and I were diving Mansfield and saw you guys jumping onto the Giant Stride right before we dropped. We were wondering what was going on. Very cool report.

Sounds like ya'll had fun...sorry I missed it!

sounds like ya'll had fun...sorry i missed it!
+1 ...

We would have deployed a boarding party, but we were already in the water, all geared up, about to slip into the murky depths (aka Lake Travis Mansfield).

Great report Zinc!
I'd like to get out there and check it out sometime soon.

Back
Top Bottom