Shark almost died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if you COULD accurately judge what the shark had enough energy to do in a panic, you'd still have the problem of how to revive and release the shark in deeper water without sacrificing a limb or two.

Even if you COULD accurately judge what the shark had enough energy to do in a panic, you'd still have the problem of how to revive and release the shark in deeper water without sacrificing a limb or two.
That I agree with as well, but at least he's not dying on the beach where he's not supposed to be and if he dies in the water, it sucks but at least he dies where he's supposed to be...does that make sense?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If it's your limbs you're putting into danger, go for it. Don't be trapped in the "I've got to do SOMETHING Syndrome." Sometimes, there's nothing you should do. Sad. But true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

Yes but that Shark (as you can see in the videos) was so out of it in the water, there was no way he had enough energy 1) to whip around and thrash 2) to bite someone.

In a recent thread about spear fishing, some members expressed views on the issue of dead or exhausted looking fish getting their 2nd wind and having the potential for chipping teeth, damaging boats, etc...

The other thing about getting the shark in the water via rope to the tail is, what if it revives faster than you thought, and you've still got to get the rope off?

I'm not saying nobody should help. Some people have enough experience dealing with animals to at least make a reasonable risk assessment about what they're doing. Some of the general public don't have the good sense to know when it's okay to pet a strange dog, without someone explaining it to them. A white shark is on a whole other level...

Richard.

That I agree with as well, but at least he's not dying on the beach where he's not supposed to be and if he dies in the water, it sucks but at least he dies where he's supposed to be...does that make sense?

I fully understand the human desire to be in control of everything on the planet....we want to "save" everything we can. What ever happened to letting nature take its course? The sharked beached for a reason. The human desire to control nature hasn't worked out for us too well so far...what makes us think we are doing the right thing by saving beached animals? Maybe we should concentrate our efforts on stopping gross pollution, overfishing, deforestation, burning of fossil fuels, habitat destruction and overpopulation of our species before we try to fix all the problems that other species are having(hint...We are probably the root cause of their problems).

I fully understand the human desire to be in control of everything on the planet....we want to "save" everything we can. What ever happened to letting nature take its course? The sharked beached for a reason. The human desire to control nature hasn't worked out for us too well so far...what makes us think we are doing the right thing by saving beached animals? Maybe we should concentrate our efforts on stopping gross pollution, overfishing, deforestation, burning of fossil fuels, habitat destruction and overpopulation of our species before we try to fix all the problems that other species are having(hint...We are probably the root cause of their problems).

Funny thing though... we are part of nature... so it isn't really a human desire to control nature... it's a human desire to be human. It's hard for most people to see something helpless and die so i totally understand people's efforts to "save" beached animals, or rehabilitate a bird with a broken wing etc. Also there is so much that we do on this planet that has already changed the course of "nature" if we weren't here. Who's to say it's not something that we did that caused the shark to have to beach itself, we don't know.

Anyways back to the original poster... if you don't know what you are doing with respect to an animal, do nothing. You have no idea the risk you could be putting yourself in or the animal. It's one of these reasons people are advised not to touch accident victims, you may be trying to help and make things way worse for the victim. EFR and medically trained people can better assess the situation so it would be best if they helped. Additionally in this instant we saw a clip of the event, you have no idea what went on before, who were trying to help and what people told them. Did someone manage the scene and say leave the shark because a trained person will be here shortly to deal with it. Did they thing the shark was dead and thus stayed away... you don't know so it's really wrong to assume the people did nothing, or did nothing to help

Funny thing though... we are part of nature... so it isn't really a human desire to control nature... it's a human desire to be human. It's hard for most people to see something helpless and die so i totally understand people's efforts to "save" beached animals, or rehabilitate a bird with a broken wing etc. Also there is so much that we do on this planet that has already changed the course of "nature" if we weren't here. Who's to say it's not something that we did that caused the shark to have to beach itself, we don't know.

Anyways back to the original poster... if you don't know what you are doing with respect to an animal, do nothing. You have no idea the risk you could be putting yourself in or the animal. It's one of these reasons people are advised not to touch accident victims, you may be trying to help and make things way worse for the victim. EFR and medically trained people can better assess the situation so it would be best if they helped. Additionally in this instant we saw a clip of the event, you have no idea what went on before, who were trying to help and what people told them. Did someone manage the scene and say leave the shark because a trained person will be here shortly to deal with it. Did they thing the shark was dead and thus stayed away... you don't know so it's really wrong to assume the people did nothing, or did nothing to help
I am efr and emt

I am efr and emt

good, so that means you can assist people in need of medical attention. What are the people in this video? Shark trained? Any wildlife training? I don't know so i wouldn't expect them to just run in and try to do something. I wouldn't expect you to do it either wrt to wildlife.

One last flip, one last snap, one lost arm

That's likely an animal that weighs in at somewhere around 250 pounds. For starters, you're going to need a couple strong volunteers to drag it back into the water. On top of that, it's panicking and thrashing around with as much strength as it can muster and one end of it is a freaking bear trap-maw that can take limbs off. Good idea to let the professionals handle that one if they can get there quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom