Shark attraction to blood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Great video here. But I have one question: Why would the sharks become attracted to cow's blood? I don't see a lot of surfing bovines.

This guy is so cool! And humorous. I think I'm going to subscribe to his channel.

And the headphones! I wonder if I could get Bose to sponsor me? Ha

And you said you didn't want to watch it...

Glad you enjoyed it.

:giggle::p

We do our share of harvesting. I have towed bags of bleeding fish for a half mile down the reef for over 20 years every dive and never had a pack of sharks line up because of blood. I've bumped into sleeping lemons and giant nurses laying the bottom and they didn't budge.
The ONLY thing that gets a shark to change direction and get interested is 'Ringing the Dinner Bell' which is a struggling and wiggling fish inside my bag. Stop the wiggle and you stop the dinner bell, plain and simple. But you'll NEVER see that dinner bell wiggle testing ever done on Shark week...... Never.

It is pretty funny that he thinks that this meets any scientific standard for rigor...

A4AB78ED-D3BA-42C3-9558-F97BC463721F_jpeg-1034504.JPG

We do our share of harvesting. I have towed bags of bleeding fish for a half mile down the reef for over 20 years every dive and never had a pack of sharks line up because of blood. I've bumped into sleeping lemons and giant nurses laying the bottom and they didn't budge.
The ONLY thing that gets a shark to change direction and get interested is 'Ringing the Dinner Bell' which is a struggling and wiggling fish inside my bag. Stop the wiggle and you stop the dinner bell, plain and simple. But you'll NEVER see that dinner bell wiggle testing ever done on Shark week...... Never.

You should turn on Shark Week right now...

Last night on Shark Week, there was a sow about an island a few hundred miles off the east coast of Australia that had cattle farms on it. Over the last few decades, a drought had forced the farmers to "cull" their herds, and they dumped the cow carcasses in one specific bay. This bay had become a "hot zone" for Tiger Sharks, some of which were massive. Also on this island were two beaches just a few miles away from where the cattle were being dumped. One of the beaches had great surfing and the other was used for swimming.

The amazing thing was though that despite the abundance of Tiger Sharks, there had not been a single diver or swimmer ever bitten by a shark at that island.

The Australian government has ordered the farmers to stop dumping the cattle into the ocean, and now the fear is that with the sharks plentiful food supply disappearing, will they turn to the beaches to hunt?

True.
My buddy shot a triggerfish Wednesday with a power head. Basically blew his head off, so the fish never knew what hit him and never kicked or flapped.

Being the clown he is, he dangled the bleeding fish about 6" in front of a nearby shark. Shark turned and swam away. Got the video with my GoPro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom