Shark dive @ AKR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trixxie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
anyone know how long the boat ride is from the resport to the dive site? Winds are lookin kinda nasty in the bay islands. Not sure if I want to endure a long boat ride for this.

I want to say 20-30 minutes?

The big plus is that they do it on one of their bigger 48 foot boats, so the ride is very smooth. I'd rather do this dive from their boat than the one the shark dive operator does.

Or just cab it over to the dive-op that does this. It's called Waihuka and the dive site is known as Cara a Cara.

It might cost a bit more.

If you're worried about wind and wave, remember that this effect will be focused on AKR and the West End. That's not a big chunk of the journey, and as you swing around the Western-most tip and head east along the South Shore, it should be pretty calm. Weather comes from the North in Roatan.

Picture1-8.png

What Doc says is usually true. Unfortunately not for this last week. The wind came directly out of the east. We went down to the shark dive and then took a taxi back to cocoview due to the waves. Couple days later I went on one of cocoviews 50 footers to the west end for a day of diving (checking out the turtles). The west end was like a pond. totally calm and protected. Soon as we rounded the corner we had waves breaking over the top of the boat. For those old enough think E ticket rides at disneyland. Beat the hell out of us.I would assume the north side fared about the same as the south. Just a heads up.

Back
Top Bottom