"Shark Dive" Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All,
With all the Hype about Sharks lately, I probably won't be doing any diving with my wife. She doesn't want to dive cold water (home). And now she doesn't want to dive where there are Sharks (Florida and Bahamas).
I like diving with Sharks and taking photos. I guess I need to find a new buddy.

Tavi

Hey Tavi,

For some reason there are WAY more sharks within 150' of shore... looking for bait fish and tourists I presume!:tease: No SCUBA divers have been bitten, and few SCUBA divers have been seeing sharks, UNLESS they come way into to shore. The bad thing about diving close to shore is the vis is way down, and you only get to see the little buggers (most are under 4') way up close when you bump into them.

Last year I was diving just North of Ponce Inlet (I think they are closing the beach south of it) and got run over by a shark. There is an old old schooner in the sands just before the channel(maybe 15-20 ft, depending on the tide), and after a storm you can sort of see the masts. Well I had my body in the channel trying to uncover some more of the ship when vrooooooom... I got tumbled by this shark. I saw his white belly as he rolled me over and that was about it. I am sure he never even saw me when he ran into my tank like that. It did shake me up for a few minutes, but I went back to trying to uncover more of the mast.

Thanks for the Info.All our dives so far have been boat dives,50-80fsw and most have had 80-100 ft vis. We won't be seeing Grand Bahama til the end of October and maybe Key Largo around Thanksgiving. Maybe by then the Hype will have died down.
I talked to a friend in Grand Bahama. He said that attack in Freeport was a swimmer in shallow murky water. We plan on avoiding those conditions. :D

Tavi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom