Shark Dive Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldmaninthesea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently went on the shark dive with Waihuka Diving in Roatan and have a few questions about shark behaviour that I didn't think of when we did the dive.
1 What do these sharks normally eat?
2 Where do they go after the feeding is over?
3 Is there a chance of seeing young sharks shortly after they are born?
4 Why don't they bother with the other fish, grouper etc. that are swimming around at the feeding site?
It was an odd experience in that it was at the same time exciting and routine. A very well organized dive that brought me within touching distance of some very impressive sharks who just seemed to ignore the divers and other fish.
Our group had excellent dive conditions, no current, bright sun and a small group of 9 divers so this was probably as good as it gets for a shark dive. Does anyone have comparisons to make with other shark dive operations?

I recently went on the shark dive with Waihuka Diving in Roatan and have a few questions about shark behaviour that I didn't think of when we did the dive.
1 What do these sharks normally eat?
Dead stuff usually lying on the bottom.
2 Where do they go after the feeding is over?
Deeper water (it's cooler) looking for dead stuff or other Sharks that have Love in mind.
3 Is there a chance of seeing young sharks shortly after they are born?
4 Why don't they bother with the other fish, grouper etc. that are swimming around at the feeding site?
You don't get that big by taking chances. If you attack something alive you might get hurt. If you go near all those funny monkeys making all those bubbles you could get hurt.
Hey... wait a minute... those funny monkey divers aren't so scary any more after all... hmmm.

It was an odd experience in that it was at the same time exciting and routine. A very well organized dive that brought me within touching distance of some very impressive sharks who just seemed to ignore the divers and other fish.
Our group had excellent dive conditions, no current, bright sun and a small group of 9 divers so this was probably as good as it gets for a shark dive. Does anyone have comparisons to make with other shark dive operations?

They run a cracker-jack outfit. There may be serious currents, but as you were well aware, they made provisions for that.

If you gotta-haveta do a shark dive, I like theirs because of the physical shape of the reef they place you inside. You are well protected on three sides from the potential stiff currents and the attentions of your new best friends. They run a good briefing and they explain well the system of lines provided to keep you on premise versus blowing off in the flow to Nicaragua. It is quite shallow and you don't have to do anything but overweight and sink to the sand.

Most people resist the firm suggestion to carry an additional 10# of weight. You want real "sticking power".

Heading down in a couple weeks. First trip to Roatan. Planning on doing the shark dive. What time do they do it? Don't really want to miss other morning dives if I can avoid it. Have to take care of nondiving wife in the afternoon most days. What was the water temp? Staying in West Bay also.
Thanks
Mark

We left The resort around 8 am and come back around 12 or 12:30. We got into the water around 10:30. I think they do several dives a day and various dive centres are scheduled for regular weekly dives,TGI is Tuesday morning. So I guess it depends who you arrange your dive with. The water was not noticeably cold.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page v

Shark Dive, Roatan agwatts Bay Islands 37 March 16th, 2008 02:45 PM
Shark dive in Roatan redbonedn Shark Forum! 4 July 8th, 2006 10:03 AM
Roatan Shark Dive Video catfish Bay Islands 27 March 11th, 2006 04:17 PM
Roatan Shark Dive Question BomberoDiver Bay Islands 6 May 15th, 2005 08:46 PM
Shark Dive Roatan? domino22 Bay Islands 10 February 9th, 2005 09:32 AM

We did the dive two days ago.All I can say is it was Great. Temp was 81. RoatanMan is right, you need an extra 10 pounds. Gloves are not alowed in the Marine Park, but they will let you use them on this dive. If I had a pair with me I wouldn't have this nasty rope burn I have now. The currents are swift so you go hand over hand all the down the rope and then back up .

Hi ,

Just came back from Roatan a couple weeks ago and did this dive.
I have some great pictures from it, so everyone is asking me what kind of sharks they were, and I realized I don't actually know! I know some type of reef shark, but can anyone tell me exactly what kind of reef shark they are?

Thanks!

Attachments

• sharks.jpg
    sharks.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 213
Just got back from Roatan last night. We did the shark dive on Wednesday last week. OMG, what an experience. We loved it. I did take some pics. As soon as I download them, I will post some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom