Shark fatality Northern California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burlguy

Reaction score
I heard the call across the radio today . Seems two diver where diving in known Great White shark feeding grounds . First diver turned around while getting into the boat only to see A large shark and a pool of blood behind him . He called the Coast Guard and local ambulance was called also . It is now considered a recovery effort . It happens up here every couple of years but the divers usaully get nipped not eaten . Of coarse I not happy that this happened but it is what happens . Anyone who has seen Jaws knows it is not safe in the water . This is coming from a former diver and surfer who has had to get out of the water more than once . I have been on a beach when a Park Ranger in Usal wilderness started yelling for us all to get out of the water . All they found was a surfboard bit in two . They could see the sharks proweling in the water just out side the breakers where I hadnt yet got . They didnt consider it a shark death becuase they didnt find a body . Humm, how many more go like this ? This attack ocurred south of Westport Califonia and North of Fort Bragg . The waters here seem a little more freindly.

burlguy:
Anyone who has seen Jaws knows it is not safe in the water . This is coming from a former diver...
Right...

Nice first post, though.

Did somebody just get home from seeing the movie "open water" or something?

I often dive in "known Great White shark feeding grounds" and luckily have had no major incidents. On the occasion I have seen them they have not been agressive at all, circle a few times and then they leave.

My condolences to the family of the person involved

The local news report said a 'Scuba' diver was diving for abalone. My question is was he in scuba gear? In which case he wasn't diving for abalone, he was poaching. If he was diving for abalone legally, he wasn't in scuba gear and the 'big fish' could have mistaken him for dinner.

Well the search is over them Man was found . It is now a confirmed shark attack . I dont want to get into the details as I am sure his familly is having enough trouble already . Once again it is a confirmed shark attack . The moderators pulled my post for a while thinking there was no way it was true ..... hmm just like there was know surfer back on shore and his board was bit in half ?

burlguy:
This wouldnt happen to be Sgt Inman 2nd Ranger Battalion Would it ?
Nope. Never served (I'm the only male Inman in 3 generations who didn't, including both my boys).

And now, back to the shark...

And free divers, of course, not scuba.
burlguy:
Well the search is over them Man was found . It is now a confirmed shark attack .
Do you have a link?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom