Shark ID in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We saw a single large shark twice at colombia deep today in the morning but I was unable to get close enough for a decent photo.

This shark was about 8-9 feet with white belly that was not up to the midline of the shark but definitely prominent and a pointed nose but not a sharp point. We described it as not blunt like a nurse or tiger shark. Further it had a large dorsal fin that was proportionally larger that a reef shark would have. The upper lobe of the tail fin was larger/longer than the lower lobe.

The measurement of 8-9 feet was due to comparing to me with fins (6'7" plus fins so ~ 8 feet) and the shark was at least longer than me by those that were closer to it.

Some in the group were closer than I and we took into account any underwater magnification.

The first sighting of it was at about 130 feet. The second later sighting was at about 70 feet. Both times it was moving north to south.

We discussed it on the boat and have decided that it was not a reef shark, not a tiger, definitely not a hammerhead of any type, and not a bull shark. Our DM said that he had seen makos on the east side when diving some years ago and thought it was very similar.

I have not seen a mako but I understand the nose has a sharp point. Mako experts can weigh in.

There were some other groups in the area and maybe someone has seen it or has a photo.

Silky? They get up to 12 feet.

Carcharhinus falciformis

Habitat
Although essentially pelagic, the silky shark is not restricted to the open ocean and has been recorded from depths as shallow as 18 meters (56 ft). It is an active, swift shark that prefers warmer water (about 23°C). It is commonly found near the edges of continental shelves and over deepwater reefs where there is abundant food source. Typically, it ranges from the surface down to at least 500 meters (1,550 ft) but has been caught over water as deep as 4000 meters (12,400 ft). Studies show no strong tendency for sexual segregation in the silky shark however, they often travel with others of their own size indicating that size segregation is present within the species. Typically, smaller sharks can be found in coastal nurseries and adults further offshore over deeper water. Small silky sharks are commonly associated with schools of tuna.

We thought silky as a possibility but the DM thought no. However the tail of a silky and the white belly sure does fit. From what I've seen, the mako should have a tail where both lobes are the same. Ours was not. The nose being a bit less pointy than a mako makes sense too. I'll bring it up on the boat.

We saw a single large shark twice at colombia deep today in the morning but I was unable to get close enough for a decent photo.

This shark was about 8-9 feet with white belly that was not up to the midline of the shark but definitely prominent and a pointed nose but not a sharp point. We described it as not blunt like a nurse or tiger shark. Further it had a large dorsal fin that was proportionally larger that a reef shark would have. The upper lobe of the tail fin was larger/longer than the lower lobe.

The measurement of 8-9 feet was due to comparing to me with fins (6'7" plus fins so ~ 8 feet) and the shark was at least longer than me by those that were closer to it.

Some in the group were closer than I and we took into account any underwater magnification.

The first sighting of it was at about 130 feet. The second later sighting was at about 70 feet. Both times it was moving north to south.

We discussed it on the boat and have decided that it was not a reef shark, not a tiger, definitely not a hammerhead of any type, and not a bull shark. Our DM said that he had seen makos on the east side when diving some years ago and thought it was very similar.

I have not seen a mako but I understand the nose has a sharp point. Mako experts can weigh in.

There were some other groups in the area and maybe someone has seen it or has a photo.
Extra large doral fin sounds like a Sandbar Shark. I would think if it were a Mako it would be pretty easy to identify.

The tail description makes me think lemon shark, although their noses are more nurse shark-like.

Could also be a silky shark as they're native to Caribbean waters.

Definitely doesn't sound like a mako though!

What did the eyes look like? Big and round, catslit pupils, small?

Extra large doral fin sounds like a Sandbar Shark. I would think if it were a Mako it would be pretty easy to identify.

Mako I think is a long shot. I will have to have a look at Sandbar to see what it looks like. Thanks

The tail description makes me think lemon shark, although their noses are more nurse shark-like.

Could also be a silky shark as they're native to Caribbean waters.

Definitely doesn't sound like a mako though!

What did the eyes look like? Big and round, catslit pupils, small?

I have seen lemons in french polynesia and if they are the same in Caribbean, then I think not a lemon. We could not get close enough to gauge the eyes. After talking with everyone on the boat the next day we think it was a silky. Whatever shark it was did not deviate from it's path to the south to let us get a better look though it did circle around once and come back at a higher depth but still we could not get close enough to great look or get a photo.

I looked off Palancar caves into the blue for almost the whole dive the next day to see if it was there in case it came further north but saw nothing.

Maybe someone else will spot it if it's still there.

So, I got a fisherman report today. Apparently I fisherman brought swordfish streaks to Guidos. They were fishing off Chankanab and caught a little dorado, which was then eaten by a large sword fish. Then a big mako shark showed up and savaged the sword. So if you want fresh sword, Guidos is the place tonight! And when diving, keep an eye out for a big mako and try not to look like a swordfish....

upload_2019-4-7_19-52-5.png

upload_2019-4-7_19-52-20.png

The #taxman

So, I got a fisherman report today. Apparently I fisherman brought swordfish streaks to Guidos. They were fishing off Chankanab and caught a little dorado, which was then eaten by a large sword fish. Then a big mako shark showed up and savaged the sword. So if you want fresh sword, Guidos is the place tonight! And when diving, keep an eye out for a big mako and try not to look like a swordfish....

Years ago my bro-in-law was fighting a white marlin off the Yucatan near Playa del Carmen when suddenly there was a very strong pull and then nothing. He reeled in the front half of what would have been an ~80lb fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom