Shark Sightings, SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There has been more talk of sharks in local SoCal waters lately. I wonder if it is just more sightings, cyclical migration or if more sharks are actually taking up residence due to more food and fishing/fining pressures elsewhere.

What kinda sharks and where have they been spotted?

I've got a book on Fish ID and inside it lists the Pacific Angel Shark as rare due to overfishing, but I saw one off Santa Barbara island and I've been seeing them showing up in other divers photos as well. Maybe (hopefully) they're rebounding?

Interesting, I see Angel sharks all the time... Not rare at all where I dive (Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Laguna Beach area...)

I've never seen an Angel shark. Don't know why, just never been in the right place at the right time, I guess.

I've seen as many as six angel sharks on a single dive. Try playing a harp while you're diving, TJ!

Compared to the 60's and early 70's, sharks are still pretty rare. I hardly ever see more than 4-5 blues or makos on our shark dives (compared to dozens decades ago). I believe there is some evidence that great whites have increased due to protection and the increasing numbers of sea lions (which were reduced by decades of hunting for oil, pet food, etc.). Soupfin sharks also seem to be recovering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom