Shark Tag with a Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtleguy9

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was cutting the dive boat loose at the YO 257 this morning. It was raining hard at the surface, and very cloudy, and totally overcast. It was almost twilight feeling as I went back down to the ball. I saw a shark passing by the white tip we had spotted earlier on the bottom. Since the white tip was about 5 foot long, I estimate that the other shark was at least 8 foot long.
Now the weird part, every so often I would see a strobe of light from under the shark as it swam. To me it looked as if the shark was a Tiger. My question is " Do any of the shark tags have Strobes?" Or did the shark eat somthing with an attached strobe?
I was never any closer than 50 feet, and as I had cut the boat loose, the idea of chasing the shark was not a good one.
Any Ideas?
Aloha Turtleguy9:confused:

I know they have external beacons on some of them but I have never heard of a strobe???? It would make the oceans a lot safer if they would put strobes on all the tigers thou!

Nick Whitney from UH came to speak at Sea Lancers a couple of months ago. An interesting fact that he put out was... if every Tiger Shark around Waikiki decided to wave it's tail in the air at the same time, you would see a dramatic drop in the number of people at the beach.

It worked for Waikoloa beach!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom