Shark tooth. charter boat -vs-shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had that happen in Venice for vis and in W Palm for sea state also (bummer to have it 3x over though). They know their stuff though. Be glad they didn't smile, take your money and drop you into the murk.

It gives you some confidence that when they take you out you'll have a quality experience. I believe Steve Thacker and Jamie Bostwick both run top notch operations. I took my teen daughter on the Hammerhead (Capt Steve) this fall and it was very good and service oriented. Marie was DM and set up all the gear for us and Steve and Marie were very knowledgeable, personable, and instructive on fossil ID. We didn't find a lot, but found some neat stuff (mammoth fragment, horse/camel teeth and a small meg). I'm always a bit cautious about taking my daughter on any boat as the capt/crew on some can be a bit gruff and salty, but Steve treats his customers with patience and respect. First timers need not worry. I'm looking forward to a repeat trip with them (although hopefully more productive).

I haven't tried the Aristakat yet (got cancelled due to vis) but I'd like to schedule a trip with them as I hear good things from people whose opinion I trust. We were disappointed, but I was glad they were considerate and ethical and cancelled when they knew it was blown out.

I was thinking of heading up to Venice this weekend, but did someone say 57 water temp?? Brrrr! :shakehead:

I was thinking of heading up to Venice this weekend, but did someone say 57 water temp?? Brrrr! :shakehead:

I don't complain about the water temp untll it's below 40. I can't wait to hit that warm bath water.

OK,

Beach diving is fine - but after last week and finding a nearly flawless 4 inch Meg while diving off the Aristakat - I have to say I am now a bigger fan of the boat dive. CAPT Jamie put us right where we needed to be and I was extremely pleased. I found a 2 inch meg on the first dive - not all that great - but not bad - and the 4 incher on the second dive. Overall a great time and well worth it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom