Shark tooth diving in Venice Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soundfield

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Good-day my fellow divers,

Can anyone out there recommend a dive op out of Venice, FL that hunts for shark teeth and fossils? I'll be headed that way late April. Also, if you've hunted for these treasures before, do you have any advice for a newbie looking for shark teeth in this area?

Thanks,

Adam

<unhelpful and irrelevant post>
f you happen to pass by Dubai and dive in the Aquarium in the Dubai Mall, the bottom is literally littered with nurse shark teeth... I guess this must hold true for most aquariums with sharks...

I haven't _really_ answered your question, though...
</unhelpful and irrelevant post>

I dove with Florida West Scuba & Charters www.megalodoncharters.com in April 2016. It was a 2-tank dive, each lasting 45 – 60 minutes and I loved it. The DM spent most of our short boat ride out showing examples of the fossils we could find and gave us great tips on how to find them. I found one meg tooth, lots of other shark teeth and could have picked up 2 or 3 five gallon buckets full of other fossils as well. My 13-year-old certified daughter was not happy that she didn’t get to go! I would definitely use them again.

Had the same experience as red_tide did with Florida West. Did it last June and had fun only drawback was vis at most we had 2' and I was told most days it's not very good. Best tip I can give after one trip is move slow and wave your hand over the muck lightly. Bring gloves and fossil bag or buy at the shop. You can also do some shore dives near by for fossils but I haven't tried any yet.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. We'll have our fingers crossed that we find something cool.

Thanks red tide and Wicket. Soundfield, Give us a call and check out our web site (www.floridawestscuba.com) we would be happy to answer your questions and get you booked on a trip or two. April is the start or the prime diving season here in Venice, and trips do get booked up. Just a note, we are the only USCG inspected vessel and dive operation in Sarasota County, all crew are dive professionals and trained in advanced lifesaving/diving first aid.

Thanks red tide and Wicket. Soundfield, Give us a call and check out our web site (www.floridawestscuba.com) we would be happy to answer your questions and get you booked on a trip or two. April is the start or the prime diving season here in Venice, and trips do get booked up. Just a note, we are the only USCG inspected vessel and dive operation in Sarasota County, all crew are dive professionals and trained in advanced lifesaving/diving first aid.
I will be in touch to book with you... thanks!

I have dove with Aristakat, good operation. I did about 6 or so beach dives there last year, the "Alhambra Site". Found 6 nice megs and tons of fossils. Largest tooth was a little over 4".

ps: there is also a Venice Fossil Divers board on this site, lots of good info there too.

Good-day my fellow divers,

Can anyone out there recommend a dive op out of Venice, FL that hunts for shark teeth and fossils? I'll be headed that way late April. Also, if you've hunted for these treasures before, do you have any advice for a newbie looking for shark teeth in this area?

Thanks,

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom