Shark TOOTH Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A somewhat little known fact is that you can find shark teeth easily without even entering the water (of course like everyone else, I love any excuse to go diving). My parents live in Fernandina Beach, north of Jacksonville -- every time we go to the beach there I sit down with my son near the high tide line and we ALWAYS find 5-10 teeth after searching for about 10 minutes. Most are small, but for an 8 year old, the thrill of finding real shark's teeth is enough!

It's quite well know in Venice. The sand is almost black from the fossil deposits. Lots of nondivers collect them. While I can find teeth along the shore, I can find more and those will average better quality if I'm diving in 12 - 16 feet of water. Join us on the 17th?

Negative on St Johns shark teeth .Also a bad idea to dive there as it is a commercial and milatary port .lotsa big boats .Extremely heavy current .Really poor vis .Big and lots of very unfossilized sharks in lo-vis and spawning occasionally.Inshore St.Johns is doable but I've never matched my production at other area rivers.Fernandina around Fort Clinch has some up to several inches on occasion.

Walter
I did not get your pm. I sent you 2 pm in the last 2 weeks and I think you did not get them. You can send Info to me at

icurok@midlink.com

Thanks Scott =-)

Am thinking about a Tooth Hunting trip to the upper Gulf Coast.
Any information on the Tex., Miss., La.,& Fla. panhandle tooth hunting areas appreciated.

If you're willing for a trip.... We found some great Meglodon teeth in the Rub Al Kali, Saudi Arabia...

Willer

Amphibious once bubbled...
If you're willing for a trip.... We found some great Meglodon teeth in the Rub Al Kali, Saudi Arabia...

Willer

Thanks for the response, but it's a little far for a ol' geezer like myself to b going.
The closest I ever got to saudi, was when doing TDY at the Naval Base in Malta. I did get to dive some in the Med though.
We were doing some Mine Warfare testing for the DOD.
Wasn't quite like a recreational dive, too serious, and way too focused.
I have dreamed of diving some of those ancient Greek trade vessel wrecks, but, probably will never get to.

Greek did you say??

I know of one in the Red Sea, right next to a coast Gaurd base, just out side of Yanbu... Still has amphora and "ribs" sticking out of the sand....You'd probably apreciate the "comming in hot" nature of this dive -the CG boys really hate guests :boom:

We roar in on a RIB, the driver yells "GO", drops it in neutral, we roll out, and he guns it away. Amazing dive, 3knot current (down draft) some days, and a supposed resident Tiger (I've never seen him)...

Willer

Geeze, all the subtle nuances of a real world op.
Yeah, youre' right, a primo dive.
Hard to lay out grids and take measurements in the current i'll bet.
Amphoras still intact ?
I guess that means the vessel was homeward bound then.
Broke up ?
Ballast stones still piled in the ribs ?
Ha ! Ima' nut for that schtuff !
Depth ?
On site time ?

Back
Top Bottom