Shark's Cove 4-11-09 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First off, photos are available here: Tim Dekle's Photos - Shark's Cove 4-10-09 | Facebook (just easier than loading them all a second time :wink: )

I met up with JJ at Hickam around 7:30 am where we realized we had our choice of any dive site on the island (beautiful conditions) after much debate over boat or shore diving we decided on a shore dive at Shark's Cove along the North Shore.

This is the first time I've been in the water at Shark's Cove since my 5th grade birthday party (where everyone went home with urchin spines in their feet ... what a way to celebrate) For years I've heard about the infamous "Elevator Shaft" from my freediving friends - they consider it either to be an act of extreme bravery or stupidity to enter there on breath hold. . . on scuba, well it's just downright FUN :D It's like any other giant stride entry off a swim platform, but then you get sucked into a lava tube which you swim thru to get to open water about 50 feet away (you can see it in the first 3 photos)

Once again JJ played the role of navigator as he led me to cavern after cavern for the next 79 minutes - lots of incredible structure ... and a bit of fun surge too :wink: in most of the small lava tubes it felt like you were either getting vacuumed up or spit out alternately.

Once we'd finished our first dive we warmed up in the sun (after 79 minutes in 73* water wearing swim trunks even I start getting pretty cold) then we grabbed the scooters for a planned trip up to 3 tables. 20 minutes into the dive one of the batteries gave out :S still not sure what happened, but it did not have a good charge ... not sure what's going on. Still we had started this dive with a nice FAT fill (3400) and still had 2500 psi remaining, so we kicked back to the entry point (Actually JJ kicked ... I scooted for a few more minutes before mine also died) - I definitely want to go back there once I figure out what I did wrong in charging the batteries (gotta run a few pool tests to see what's up) because there are some wonderful pinnacles, overhangs and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find an arch or two out there - definite scooter paradise :D

Another great dive - Thanks for the fun JJ :)

Aloha, Tim

I'm just dreading the day when he finally realizes I should know my way around some of these sights and I have to take lead - lol ... I'll play dumb as long as possible till then :wink: Fortunately at the moment it's my first time for any of them :D

From what I hear summer should be even more spectacular up there - definitely hoping to get a dive or two in then at S.C. and see how nice it is.

Aloha, Tim

Hi Tim long time. Miss you here on Maui. I am not doing a gig with Reef Dancer as last fall it seemed youth and beauty took place of age and experience. Oh well Now i am working with the Thriller Maui. Nice people great boat!
Nice pics on Shark's Cove been there with halemano when we lived on Oahu.
Aloha Jeannie B.

nize photos tim!..
too bad our cameras won't do that old "auto-winder" effect like the old film cameras..
then you could've got a better time-sequence series of my splash into the elevator-shaft :wink:

i didn't take many shots.. having too much fun shootin' thru all the caverns!

but here're my Sharks Cove highlight reels from past dives..
stuff to look forward to this summer..

mahalo!

lol - My camera (most do actually) has that feature ... I just forgot to use it - takes a dozen or so shots at 1/4 second intervals or some such.

and WOW those are some nice shots. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing that site this summer ... if I can figure out how to take a day off :S

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom