Sharks Finned in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Scotty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is happening in our own back yard?

Sharks finned in Florida images

From Sharkdivers Blog:

Tarpoon Dive Centers posted grizzly images of finned sharks in Florida's waters this week.

These images were picked up by Scotty Grey from
and a host of shark conservation groups.

Scotty's response to these images were typical of those who have seen them.

We contacted Jake Shekels manager of Tarpoon Dive Centers and he said this was not the first time he had encountered finned sharks at his dive site:

"These Photos were taken last weekend while diving on a reef off Key Biscayne. Unbelievable this is happening so close to home. In April of last year we saw two hammerheads and perhaps a tiger shark, this was a nurse shark around the same area and depth and I am beginning to wondering if this is a coincidence?"

Typically shark finning is done by one or two persons who run small to medium shark fin operations. These are lucrative operations (see link).

With conservation leadership from Tarpoon Dive Centers and help from others in the conservation community perhaps these sharks will not have been finned in vain.

Posted by Shark Diver at 2:52 PM

That's a disgrace!!!

Just freaking great.

Now I have yet another group of people to hate close to home.

Chug
Thinks that those jerks that like shark fin soup needs killin' too.

There's an enormous amount of poaching off of Dade County and it will continue as long as FWC has virtually no manpower, the poachers have no fear as there is almost no enforcement.

Onespeed is right, last Friday afternoon at the Elbow reef in the SPA area:

2 Dive boats

3 Fishing boats

They don't care that they are in a protected area. One guy I called on the radio told me he was only in the SPA area becouse his trolling line had hung up on one of the mooring balls and it just happened to be the one divers where under.

Onespeed is right, last Friday afternoon at the Elbow reef in the SPA area:

2 Dive boats

3 Fishing boats

They don't care that they are in a protected area. One guy I called on the radio told me he was only in the SPA area becouse his trolling line had hung up on one of the mooring balls and it just happened to be the one divers where under.

Yup, when we were kids we would get stopped and checked regularly, now it's a rare occasion you even see a FWC boat, let alone get stopped by one. I constantly find lobster heads when diving, the poachers have nothing to fear as odds of getting caught are virtually nonexistent.

I was diving the Eurojacks a few years ago and came upon about 15 fins. We told the park rangers, but to the best of my knowlege notihing came of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom